Herman fatality?

JasonG

Sounds like a terrible accident, though I don't really have any details. NWAC is sending staff up there today to investigate, so hopefully we know more soon. The scary part is that many (myself included) thought that the rain had taken care of the PWL.

Condolences to all involved, and their friends and family.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most reactive conditions I ever encountered were on a day where the avalanche forecast was Moderate. On the singular aspect we went to ski there was an intact hoar frost layer and the entire slope slid easily. Very similar aspects across valley appeared totally bomber as we watched other parties ski down them. Point being is the NWAC forecast is painted with a broad brush with far too little actual observations to be considered definitive.

FWIW my rudimentry understanding is that this particular accident occurred in an area that I would consider to be the sketchiest terrain by far in the entire Heather Meadows area.

Someone posted this on TGR, sounds like a terrible accident with lots of people watching but unable to help:

It appears that one of them was injured while skiing on the backside of what most people call Mt. Herman. Technically the true Mt. Hermon is behind to the west. They had called 911 for help with the injury so several people were watching them work their way down. They were coming from the backside of Herman and cutting under what is known as the Widowmaker, just on the apron of it. A slide from above hit them and now both were injured. A second and third slide came down from above them and really messed them up. It is amazing that they were not both fully buried or killed from trauma. These were very large wet slides going on the ground. Widowmaker is very steep and the ground is solid rock slab with no vegatation. We just had a ton of rain a 2 days before this so the water could not drain due to the solid rock. The stability really wasn't that bad anywhere else. I bet these were the only slides in the Mt Baker region yesterday. Strange set of circumstances really. A situation went from bad to worse. They longlined one guy out and left the other due to him being mostly buried, having severe head trauma and it being too unsafe to dig him out.

Condolences to the family and friends, hope the skier that survived the slides fully recovers.

• 3 weeks later...