[TR] Bailey Traverse - The Anniversary Route 8/4/2012

Matt_Alford

Trip: Bailey Traverse - The Anniversary Route

Date: 8/4/2012

Trip Report:

Among my many marital duties is planning Jenny's and my annual anniversary adventure. While it is true that this trip has historically included a sufficient amount exercise, I hardy think it deserves the "Jenny proves she is tough enough to be married to Matt another year trip" designation it has come to be known by among Jenny's co-workers and friends. I guess that time Jenny got a moderate case of Rhabdomyolysis while descending from El Dorado and hobbled around work for a week left lasting a impression. That which does not kill us make us stronger.

I am left to conclude that either Jenny somewhat enjoys the pain or has a really short memory as she continues to let me plan a week-long trip every August in celebration of another year of our union.

I promised Jenny outrageously beautiful wildflowers, plentiful wildlife, outstanding campsites and a full on adventure. The Bailey Traverse didn't come up short in any of these criteria and also featured plenty of side-hilling on exposed terrain, gully-hell, the most robust populations of mosquitos I have ever encountered and a fair dose of good old-fashioned bushwacking.

My wife is tougher that she knows and showed some real character on this trip. I can't think of a better way to celebrate my marriage than wandering through such beautiful terrain for week in the company of my wife.

IMG_11702.JPG

IMG_11851.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_12011.JPG

IMG_12041.JPG

IMG_12321.JPG

IMG_12391.JPG

IMG_12541.JPG

IMG_12621.JPG

IMG_12834.JPG

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_13002.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_13191.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_13262.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_13395.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

jenny_scowl.jpg

matt_beer.jpg

Gear Notes:

Bug Juice and a 5th of whiskey

Front Door Adventures

Edited by Matt_Alford

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty O' bears, just not quick enough with the Canon. I must commend the NPS for their effort at keeping the bears wild in the Olympics. At Ferry Basin a bear approached 150 meters to camp, had a sniff and wandered off. That night he returned and took a big dump on right next to the food cache and again about 50 meters from camp. Didn't f*** with us and still weary of people. I like it that way!

IMG_1315.JPG

can the NPS take credit for that? education of visitors to not be a dumb-ass? (what is plural for dumb-ass?)

was your food cache strung up a tree?

There aren't a lot of good hanging trees on the traverse. Ferry basin is better, but still the NPS forces parties on this route to carry a bear canister. At least, they did as of a few years ago. It's a really good policy, especially given the lack of good hanging opportunities throughout much of the route.