All Around Rope?

Benny

I know most will say that I need two ropes but thats too expensive for us poor starving cold college students. I need something that I could use for alpine, some TRing, and sport. I am not too worried about weight but would like something that is durable and will last me a few years. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've really enjoyed the Sterling Marathon pro 10.1 I bought last year. Not too pricey and its held up quite well even after about 500 pitches. They run from $120 + if you shop around a bit.
How does the rope handle? Any problems with tangling? I'm looking to upgrade to a nice beefy 70m too. I really like Mammut but they are so pricey.

I personally really like Mammut ropes and even though they are a bit more up front they've always lasted me the longest and I think they have the nicest hand - except maybe for some Beals. The Mammut supersafe 10mm or 10.2mm (can't remember) would be a great durable workhorse rope.

I owned a Sterling Marathon and got several years out of it before I retired it. A little stiff but very durable. When I was looking I did a little research and there seemed to be a fair consesus that Edelweiss, Sterling and Mammut made solid ropes. If money were no object I would look into one of the Mammut Supersafes or Edelweiss ARC ropes, they seem to be very durable. You'll pay about $200 for a 60M dry rope of this quality. The cheaper ropes by these brands aren't always up to the same standards. If you are willing to shop around you get get some screaming deals. I picked up a Maxxim 50M dry 10.5 for something like $60-70 at REI-OUTLET a while back with an online coupon they send out occasionaly. They don't always have ropes there but if you have time and are patient deals show up. Look at gearexpress.com too. I picked up a real cheap glacier rope there, $30 I think for a 32Mx9mm. It's real light but thick enough to use my regular prussiks.