[TR] The Steeple - Coethedral Area - Oregon - Beckey Route 6/10/2012

Plaidman

Trip: The Steeple - Coethedral Area - Oregon - Beckey Route

Date: 6/10/2012

Trip Report:

The Empress of Adventure and I got the second ascent of the Beckey Route on The Steeple today.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/beckey-route/107617226

After a mishap with some bear scat. Her highness stuck her knee right into the crap. Now we know the answer to the question. Does a bear shit in the woods. The answer is yes. She asked me "Have you ever put your knee in bear crap?" I think I will not add that one to the bucket list.

From the base I fixed lines for her Highness to make the scramble up easier for her. She belayed me across the snow field and up into the gully. I fixed the line again and set up a semi hanging belay. She belayed me through the muddy gully. It is probably a lot easier when it is dry. Good thing I had my moss ax. It was sketchy for sure. Then I got to the notch on the backside of The Steeple where the real climbing starts.

I slung knobs to the top and brought her highness up. Took loads of pictures and got out of there with 3 raps off the top.

There are two bolted rap anchors. You really need two ropes to rap off. We had a 70 m. rope and couldn't make it to the second rap so we added a rap off another tree on climbers right.

Good day and good times. Awesome weather.

SAM_1493.JPG

SAM_1492.JPG

SAM_1501.JPG

SAM_1500.JPG

SAM_1499.JPGSAM_1504.JPG

SAM_1503.JPG

SAM_1502.JPG

SAM_1505.JPG

SAM_1508.JPG

SAM_1507.JPG

SAM_1506.JPG

SAM_1516.JPG

SAM_1511.JPG

SAM_1510.JPG

SAM_1521.JPG

SAM_1520.JPG

SAM_1519.JPG

SAM_1522.JPG

SAM_1523.JPG

Video from the adventure

Gear Notes:

Lots of 48" slings and biners. I took 18 slings and two cordeletts.

Approach Notes:

Straight up the right side from the north face. Stay next to The Steeple then take a left into the hidden gully to the notch.

Edited by Plaidman

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that video of your start of the ground up first ascent of your new route on the North Face. Damned proud and bold stuff Scotty! The video sucked except for the parts of it where you are in the frame actually climbing, and that was the shit right there. You climb right through a little water fall at the start dancing on the knobs with yer rope running behind you ...I'm sitting watching it shivering...fear? Cold? Both perhaps. I tried to send the vid down to Adam and he couldn't see it, but I described it and he said pretty much what I just said above. We argued over the length of the route once you guys finish it. He's pretty sure it's going to be 400 feet of knobjobaliciouness, I'm thinking 250-300', but I'm sure you'll let me know once you finish it.

Miker photo below of the 2 half crazed warrior clansmen, the Mcdonald and the Peterson clans united. Rick McDonald (left) Scott Peterson (right).

107648405_large_8237db.jpg

It's cool that you named it after your late buddy and climbing mentor as well. "Brother Mike".

Nice.....where is this place?

Click this Kevin: http://mapper.acme.com/ Once that's up, copy this: N 45.07837 W 122.11870 and paste it in the lower right hand corner to the left of the button that says "find". Then click "find". That's the location.

On the upper right is a toolbar. I've found that Hybrid and Topo are a great way to perv out on the next weekend or years adventures while at work.

The upper left hand corner has a handy zoom in or out feature.

enjoyed my first trip out there just fine - better than sex, coecocounut bridge, dragonspine, excalibur, trench warfare n' rad/plaid/glad - the scruffy approach trail is great prep for the routes! great work there bill, and my apologizes for breaking one of the 2 reading room chairs w/ my gargantuan ass :)

enjoyed my first trip out there just fine - better than sex, coecocounut bridge, dragonspine, excalibur, trench warfare n' rad/plaid/glad - the scruffy approach trail is great prep for the routes! great work there bill, and my apologizes for breaking one of the 2 reading room chairs w/ my gargantuan ass :)

No trip report?

No worries. Chairs come and go. My brother said that when I die, he'll cement a real nice bench in down there with a memorial plaque on it something like Danny Wrights out at Smith Rock.

Some favorite questionable people sitting in some (formerly) favorite questionable chairs.

Geoff_and_Kyle_in_the_reading_room.JPG

Bill - Here's my trip report. I went up, put in 3 more bolts (solo), after some scary hook moves so I could get into the top step of my aiders, I came back down.

I cleared the road of rocks that had slid into the road near the waterfall and all the snow is melted off the road. So now it is a 10 min walk from the base of The Steeple back to the truck. I also hacked some devils club down, with my moss ax, on the way up and down from The Steeple. By the end of the summer it should be a fairly casual walk up to the climbs up there.

Edited by Plaidman

Nice solo effort. Takes stones to head up to that place alone and get off the ground, especially on a new line. Anyway, it's too early for everyone to start bitching so I wouldn't worry over that just yet. Alternatively, you could wait till it warms up or stops raining too. It would be more fun.

Going to wet up there this weekend. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=45.11230010229608&lon=-122.21026618033648&site=pqr&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Exciting day on "Brother Mike" route. I had to drill another hole for the first bolt when my new brush got stuck while hanging on two hooks. After drilling the new hole, pounding in the bolt and torquing the bolt to 50 psi, I clipped it and not 30 secs later the hooks blew. Great way to get started. Only 4 1/2 new bolts, but the route is shaping up. Can hardly wait to free climb it. Should have the first pitch in this weekend. Will post video soon. Camera crapped out.

Edited by Plaidman

• 2 weeks later...