Rahm/Custer/Spickard/Redoubt

tomcat

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've climbed all these peaks except Rahm, but they were all on separate trips. (I like the area.) One could probably climb Spickard, Rahm and Custer in a single day from a high camp at the saddle above Silver Lake, or maybe even from Ouzel Lake. Spickard and Rahm are easy. If the east ridge of Custer went well, that would be the way to do it. We did the south ridge and it was really terrible rock. There's a place on the ridge that literally quivers as you traverse it.

The basic plan would be to approach via Depot Creek, camp at Ouzel Lake, climb the standard route on Redoubt and return, optionally moving camp up to the saddle above Silver Lake. Then do the other peaks from there. I'd recommend going before mid July, to take advantage of snow for glissading.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a traverse up Perry Creek climbing Spickard and Redoubt on the way to Whatcom Pass and Challanger. Perry Creek was pretty brutal - pushing up through an old burn at the entrance of the Perry Creek Basin. Nice ascent from the valley to the pass next to Spickard. Fabulous area - If (when) I go again, I'd probably come from the North and would agree with Lowell - go before the valleys fill with alder and devil's club (although the awesome weather usually hits in late July).

The traverse was interesting, but some slow stretches with very heavy brush. Give yourself a week - why the heck not and the weather can be tricky.

We had horrendous bugs and mosquitos all the way to 9000 ft. Really brutal. The way the snow pack is going, this may be another year of bugs. Bring the juice.

• 3 weeks later...

Maselpanik Creek logging road is reopened, and provides not only by far the fastest access to Rahm right now, but also potentially to the whole group. You need to get a key from Interfor in Hope unless you are using the gated road 9 am -4pm on weekdays, as it is locked evenings and weekends.

Rahm is currently an easy daytrip from road end.

Off_White said:

While browsing though some discarded Pack and Paddle magazines that my wife brought home from the Library I came across a long trip report of just this outing in the July 2001 issue, and I could scan and send the article along if anyone needs it.

I would like to read that if you have scanned it. thumbs_up.gif Interested in redoubt this year.

Dru said:

Maselpanik Creek logging road is reopened, and provides not only by far the fastest access to Rahm right now, but also potentially to the whole group. You need to get a key from Interfor in Hope unless you are using the gated road 9 am -4pm on weekdays, as it is locked evenings and weekends.

Rahm is currently an easy daytrip from road end.

Getting a key would always be problem for me due to early morning starts and only weekend potentiability.....so....

Do you know how far from the end the road is gated?

Is this road too steep to be mountainbikeable with a pack on?

1) gate is 1km from main road you would have to MTB about 8 km...it isnt too bad, i did it once in 1996 when it was all aldered over and had to push bike uphill a bit ; the steepest grade is near the bottom.

2) get a canuck to pick up the key for ya. tell someone in hope (like someone that works in a gas station or coffee shop that will be open when you head up there) that you'll pay em $20 to pick up and drop off the key.

Dru said:2) get a canuck to pick up the key for ya. tell someone in hope (like someone that works in a gas station or coffee shop that will be open when you head up there) that you'll pay em $20 to pick up and drop off the key.

Now that's a good idea. I never would have thought of that. Thanks!

Edited by Stefan