M&M Cave

Uncle_Tricky

Hey kids, I was wondering if anyone out there has any info on a feature up near Washington Pass. An old guy I know who lives in Twisp says he's heard people refer to it as M&M cave, but he's not sure if anyone has ever explored it. Let's say you're driving East on highway 20. After you cross Washington Pass and descend around the hairpin, you go maybe another half mile. There, if you look up and left towards the slide chutes and gullies that come off of Cutthroat Peak, you can see a big cave in the middle of a granite wall. The mouth of cave itself is maybe 30 feet tall and 50 feet wide--not sure how deep it is. There's a hanging grotto in the mouth of the cave, with some large trees growing out. It's probably a few hundred feet off the deck, and maybe 200 feet from the top. Anyway, I wonder if anyone has ever made it into this cave? It's such a neat looking feature that I wouldn't be surprised if someone has explored it. Not sure if there is a feasible route up to it, or if it might be possible to rap down to it from the top. ? Any info out there?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is tangential to the discussion, but a friend told me about a mineral he discovered near Washington Pass in pockets in the rock that mineralogists refer to as "fugs". It is a complex lithium- sodium-aluminum silicate known as zeksterite and it is found there and nowhere else in the world, except for an inferior grade found in Kazakistan. Anyone ever find crystals up there, maybe near Kangaroo Ridge?

Did a google search, one hit, "Zeksterite crystals from India $12.00" so much for the uniqueness theory.

I'm pretty sure the description is under the name, so both of the listings are from Washington:

Zeksterite $12.00/each

Light straw colored eye clean round cut stones from Washington averaging 2.0mm.

Zeksterite $20.00/each

A light straw colored eye clean round cut stone from Washington averaging 2.9mm.

-L