Dome Peak accident

olyclimber

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang, someone PM'd me last week for photos of the Chickamin Glacier. They were planning to solo Sinister last weekend. I deleted the PM and don't remember his name.

Glad to hear they were rescued (whoever the climber is) and hope for a speedy recovery.

I'm wondering if the accident occurred on the Chickamin Glacier. I'd be really surprised if there is anywhere on the Dome Glacier where a 1,200' fall into a crevasse is even possible.

Glad to hear your friends are safe and were able to help the fallen climber.

I'm wondering if the accident occurred on the Chickamin Glacier. I'd be really surprised if there is anywhere on the Dome Glacier where a 1,200' fall into a crevasse is even possible.

Glad to hear your friends are safe and were able to help the fallen climber.

I'll ask, but my friends were only climbing Dome via the standard route, and they were descending when the accident occurred. They said the guy slid from above down into a crevasse almost 'in their laps'. My friends said the guys were on the NW face and identified them as "ice climbers".

Edited by KaskadskyjKozak

My partner was the fallen climber -- he is recovering remarkably well.

We were climbing up to the SW peak of Dome via the standard steep snow line up from the Dome glacier, planning to traverse the rock ridge from the SW summit to the main summit after ascending the snow slope. He fell from the top of the snow slope back down to the schrund just above the flats -- not 1200 feet, but quite a ways. We're incredibly lucky that the team of six was there to help with the rescue; they added many hours to an already long day to help us and we can't stress enough how much we appreciate it. Someone on this thread said one of their friends was in that party -- if you can PM me with their email addresses, I'd like to thank them again and make sure we return any gear of theirs we wound up with.

Speaking of gear, unfortunately we had to leave quite a bit of gear at the bivy site at the Dome-Chickamin col. If anyone is considering heading to the area anytime soon and is feeling unbelievably generous, we would be tremendously grateful for anything you might be able to retrieve. Whiskey/beer/other gratitude beverages of your choice on us, of course.

We're feeling quite lucky to have gotten off as light as we did on this one.