Static Point

iceclimer

I don't believe static point is a good choice for climbing this time of the season, but where the hell is it? I spent a lot of time looking for it one day and had no luck. I was using the Washington State climbing guidebook and still no luck. We pulled off the road just past the bridge and followed an overgrown road on foot for a very long distance.

Any information you could provide on the whereabouts of this climb would really be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Static Point will probably have dry rock if the sun comes out the next couple of days and it can be very pleasant at this time of year. Indeed, I think some of the routes were "put up" in the middle of a mild winter. It sounds as if you were on the right road. After about a half-mile or so, there would have been a couple of big bouldersin the roadbed (this was the old parking area), beyond which the roadbed should have been completely filled in for a couple hundred yards. It must be something like a mile further on this road to the point where you head up the hill to reach the crag. After passing two or three gullies where old drainage pipes are lying next to the road, look for one that may have a cairn on it and a trail up the bank on the left. The trail climbs several hundred feet through the woods, ending with a short, steep climb that can be treacherous with icy snow, and then deposits you near the base of "On Line."

The half mile access road off the main line is quickly becoming overgrown after being blocked by a fallen tree a couple of years ago, and I ama fraid that this will lead to the continuous deterioration of the route even though it is really not much more difficult than it has been for ten years. Several of us who chat on this site did some trail maintenance last Fall.

Edited by mattp

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Iceclimer, you got "smooted"! No worries though, you are not alone. I think the UBB code for this guy confused.gif oughta be :smoot . yelrotflmao.gif

The gate may be locked but if you brought bikes it would be an easy ride out there. Walking probably takes about an extra hour (or less).

Here's the beta for the trail:

turnhere.jpg

Climb through this pipe hahaha.gif then turn left at the obvious trail up the sidehill (there was a cairn on top of this pipe the last time I went there).

p.s. I'll bet it's really nice up there right now. Index was way sunny and warm yesterday. Static Point is southfacing. cool.gif

Edited by chucK

I just got back from the Spada Resevoir area and the gate IS open. No snow, just some water. My guess is that the rock up there should be dry with potential wet or icy spots on the ledges. If it's nice tomorrow, it might be a good destination. Get it now before the weather goes to shit.