Illumination Rock Mini TR

Doug_Hutchinson

Climbed "Iron Maiden" (5.7, AI2) on I-rock last Friday with Matt Sullivan. The same inversion that is spelling death for the skiing resulted in warm weather and glove-free rock moves.

Great route with good (rock) pro but pretty shitty rock. I almost was able to front point into the rock. Proper respect and gratitude to Wayne Wallace for lots of pioneering on I-rock and generating a fantastic topo.

Extra special bonus was skiing 2500' of perfect corduroy on Palmer mostly in full sunshine until skiing into dense, dense fog near the bottom. (Raving about c'roy shows what an incredible crap snow year this has been on Hood).

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer RBW's astute question about good pro in bad rock: the surface of the rock was flakey and everything that looked like a nice edge pulled off in one's hand. However, the cracks were solid enough to take good cams (or pins).

The route is on the downhill (SW) side of I-rock which was somewhat protected from glacial scouring. By the looks of it, I would assume on rock on the prominent wall on the east side is much better since it looks cleanly cut by recent glacial activity.

Congradulations Doug and Matt! That was probably the second ascent. Aside form my playing on it,Your trip was one of only a couple forays I have ever heard of that dealt with the I-rock in winter conditions , believe it or not. So , it has interesting rock quality but , I have so much fun climbing on it . The next thing you bigdrink.gif should look for is Rime Dog .It starts in the left steeper gully and goes straight up from there. It is my favorite and I may repeat it for the 3rd time this weekend.

As far as the East Face is concerned the rock at the very start is bad .the middle is great but the finish is bad too. I have climbed stiff cracks there in the summer, but it is a bit sunny for winter stuff except for March Madness, a pure water ice route. Good job! bigdrink.gif