Winter on Hood

sketchfest

A good time was had by all on Mt Hood. Bumped into Sketch and Funguy Sat at 5am on the Palmer; Shred, rbw, myself and friends climbed an E Rim gulley, then later on our descent we ran into Iain on skies. It's a small world. It's great that all you guys got out to enjoy some mountain play.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saber, Great job on the climb. It sure was shitty early that morning. We almost turned back ourselves. Shred and I will post up the pics from our gulley climb. Send me your shot(s) and I'll include it in the post.

The Mazama climbers got out Sunday morning thankfully unharmed. They ended up spending the night up there. I briefly talked to one of them on our way up Sat morning around 4am. We passed them at around 7500'. They were moving very slow. The guys I spoke to were 20 years under than me, yet they had to bivvy Sat night. What the hell are the Mazama leaders teaching their members??? At least they had the sense to dig in for the night and descend the next morning.

Pete--

I don't think those groups we passed en-route were the same climbers who spent the night. First, the group who spent the night on the mountain had parked next to us and I spoke briefly with the bearded gent (I recognized him from the news). Second, the climbers who spent the night had climbed Leutholds and the groups we passed continued up the south side. I'm guessing the conditions on Leutholds must have been pretty bad or they were moving very slowly. Either way, glad they made it back ok.

I like them so far. Took a couple runs below Illumination Saddle Saturday and they held up well on the hardpack. Not the quickest of skis I've been on, but they are easy to turn and easy to hold a long carve. Still felt great on the icy/steep sections even though it's a shorter ski for me. Fun long turns under Palmer and they did fine at high speeds. Reserving full judgement for the deep crud and wet powder. Quite impressed with the Dynafits too, once I figured out the toe tour vs downhill mode. cool.gif

Climbed Leutholds Sat am before the weather hit. Ran into Sketchfest & FunGuy as well at the top of Palmer. Didn't recognize them at first w/o a beer in one hand. Also considered turning around at the Saddle but then things cleared up with the sunrise. Route was in great shape!!! laugh.gif Will post a TR & photos when I get the time.

Yeah, Funguy and I bailed WAY to early, but from where we were at 3:00AM, the perverbial shit was hitting the fan and it wasn't until we ran into Mtnhigh, Shred, rbw and crew that we started thinking things weren't gonna be so bad. Unfortunately, we had already desended about 1/2 way down the Palmer and weren't very excited about the prospects of hiking back up to 9,4k. Oh well...seemed like a good decision at the time.

And for chirst sake, I don't think I've seen that many people heading up the mountain in mid-June! bigdrink.gif for all who stuck it out