[TR] Three O Clock Rock - Magic Bus and others 1/24/2014

curtveld

Trip: Three O Clock Rock - Magic Bus and others

Date: 1/24/2014

Trip Report:

In some regions, you can gage your best recreational option (skiing, cragging, kayaking, etc) with little more than a calendar. As most of us have learned, the Cascades are not nearly so predictable. But the frustration of rainy weekends in August is often paid back by mild windows in November or January. You have to be ready to take advantage of these gifts and after the recent drought, all indications were that Darrington could be a go.

1_Exfo.JPG

Exfo looking good but considerably snowier than 3OC Rock

My coworker Anna is a recent grad of the Skagit Alpine Club basic climbing course. Though new to climbing, she and her husband have been bitten hard by the climbing bug. Doesn’t hurt that she’s great company, level-headed and has Fridays off like me.

After finding the road and trail in remarkably good shape, we reached the slabs around 11 with full sunshine from the Great Arch around to the left. We jumped on Magic Bus (5.8+), which was impeccably clean and dry above the snow-buried start.

2_Magic_Bus_start.JPG

Get on the Bus where the skinny dike crosses the overlap

The Bus was a great call for Anna’s first multi-pitch climb - two pitches of knobby slabs with a short traverse after the belay. Bolts are in all the right places (:wave: to uberator/FA CrazyJZ) though overdue for updated hardware. Around 2 the sun disappeared behind the ridge, but it was still reasonably comfy so we checked out the Rash (5.8). Pitch one is steep laybacking on a flexing flake system. A little tricky finding good stances and the less flexy spots for gear, so glad to have a range of small cams.

3_Rash_start.JPG

The Rash heads up the zig-zag flakes

4_Anna_Rash.JPG

Anna finishing pitch 1

The money pitch looked amazing but the upper part of the Rash was quite wet.

5_Curt_Rash.JPG

"Love me some dry granite!"

We closed out the afternoon Under the Boredwalk, to be Anna’s fifth career lead. She cruised it, wondering if it really deserves its 5.7 rating, a fair point given the abundance of knobs and grippy, low angle rock.

6_Boredwalk_anchor.JPG

"Yup, it's a SAC-approved set-up alright"

7_Bored_rap.JPG

Admiring the Boredwalk on the way down

Probably won’t be long before 3OC gets snowed under again, so great to get in a visit now and hope the road is in as good of shape when spring arrives for real.

Gear Notes:

Usual stuff: double ropes, slings, cams, Whitelaw's Weekend Rock

Approach Notes:

All good for now!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'm not sure it's ever dry at the top.
Yup those last couple soggy moves to the bolt slowed me waaay down. Eased up...clipped...exhaled...looked the the next 5.8 moves, completely wet. Inhaled... grabbed the next chicken-head, which broke off...rappelled. I'll be back.

That's dedication Curt! Thanks for the reminder that rock climbing isn't only a summertime pursuit around here. That's cool that you are able to climb with your co-workers. Mine mostly think I'm strange, but that might not be because of my climbing habit.