rope diameter

mountainsandsound

I am curious- how small in diameter can you go until you notice that catching a fall is more difficult? I have a 8.5 mm that I use on glacier routes and have used on easy alpine rock sections where I expected that forces would be pretty low because the terrain was not vertical. Have not tried to catch a lead fall with it though.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ropes have different characteristics other than diameter. Elongation and impact forces will be more relevant to your question than diameter, assuming that your belay device is rated to work for a 8.5mm rope. Typically the smaller diameter ropes have more elongation and lower impact forces but that may not be 100% true.

If your inferred question is wether your 8.5mm rope adequate for catching vertical leader falls, then answer would lay with evaluating all the points in the belay chain are adequate.

-Is the belay device good for that size rope? friction goes down as size goes down. (insert snickering here) Rope size people!

-Is the rope being used as designed? (is it a single rope or a double rope?)

-Is the rope still in good enough condition to be used this way?

If the answer is yes, then the rope is fine. There a shit ton of other questions about lead climbing but for your original question.