• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   12/08/21

Thanks for visiting Cascadeclimbers.com.   Yep, we are still going!    Just put a new coat of paint on the site. Still the same old community of climbers, skiers, and people who love to get outdoors. Hope you had a great 2021, and wish you the best for 2022 and beyond.  Thanks again for stopping by.
Sign in to follow this  
tvashtarkatena

Headed for Blodgett Canyon

Climbing in Blodgett is south facing and I would think rather warm this time of year. The standard moderate is South Face of Shoshone Spire, which is good. Start climbing at the tree, 5.7 - 5.9 climbing leads to the top.

All the cool kids are going to Mill Creek these days, where a bunch of new, moderate routes have been put up in the last couple of years. Check out http://millcreekreport.blogspot.com/ for more information. Otherwise, I'd do Shoshone Spire or Flathead Buttress if you want something a little less obvious.

Hey, no its not password protected - not sure what's happening. I can email you the PDF if you send me your email via PM.

Direct link is here (Google Docs don't have password-protect ability)

3rd edition with better topos: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8A_h7cxTHS2Um9XdHIzTXkxSUk/edit?pli=1

2nd edition with directions to crags (a couple miles north of Blodgett): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8A_h7cxTHS2ZDk0Mzc3ODQtNGZmZC00ZmRiLWFjZjUtMGYzYjNlNDE4ODcx/edit?hl=en&pli=1

At any rate, I just remembered I have an old Montana climbing guide I could lend you if you want. Its got instructions for the Blodgett standards and I think a long 5.7ish route in Mill Creek.

If on I-90 also consider Gallatin Canyon, Bozeman Pass. But keep on trucking cuz MT is rarely a destination rock climbing place. Locals might disagree because they are ahem locals

Edited by matt_warfield

Thanks for the offers. We'll only have a day at the most - headed for the Winds/etc., so we've probably got enough to work with near Hamilton. Gallatin looks kewl but Hamilton is closer to that critical halfway point needed to break the drive up and keep the sanity intact.

We did manage to slip into Mill Creek, but only had time for a quick swim and visual check out of Tick Farm before getting back in the car. The Burnerroots were pretty smokey, as usual. Thanks all for the beta - should come in handy for next time.

Not sure how I missed that one! I love the winds...the beckey route on warrior still beckons...

That line does look nice, as does the minor dihedral on the Haystack - an 'almost Beckey' route.

Edited by tvashtarkatena