Filing Horizontal Front Points

Colin

I can't seem to decide which is a better method for filing horizontal crampon front points:

-from the sides, creating a very triangle-shaped front point

-from the top, creating a trapezoidal-shaped front point

Sabretooth crampons come with the front points already somewhat "top-filed," while most (Grivel, DMM, CM) come with the front points "side-filed." It's been my experience that if you "top-file" them, then as the crampons get older (and points shorter), your front points get wider, and therefore less effective. On the other hand, perhaps "top-filing" them preserves the life of the front points more than "side-filing?"

Thoughts?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Colin,

I've had sabertooths for about 4 years or so and still havent filled them. But if I were going to I'd probably just do some light strokes from the top down. You'd havta file the sides quite a bit to get a sharp triangle front point on there, and it would probably be weaker...

Anyway, maybe one day I will sharpen them, but as of yet I have't seen the need to. Obviously the more you sharpen them the sooner they will wear out, and I find that sharp poons and picks just need to be sharpend more often to stay sharp. Therfore I leave mine dull and call it good.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Don't Rambo's have vertical front points? I would assume that no one files their vertical front points from the top.

damn, you're right.

I'll add this one last comment, and you can take it however you want. I once had a pair of strap-on crampons that were Mugs Stumps'. The horizontal front points were sharpened from the top. I figure he knew what he was doing.

Yeah, and I haven't done any hot rodding either

I simply skipped the "horizontal" aspect of the original query...queer eh?

I would assume that no one files their vertical front points from the top.

I dunno, we read lotsa weird stuff on this board...

just look at what I wrote????

It was an early morning

fruit.gif

I asked the guys at BD this once, they suggested to follow their original file on the sabertooths. So I just file lightly to keep a nice horizontal edge. Top to bottom, back to front. Of course they do get more trapezoidal as you file them more and more, so I do try to hit the sides to square it off slightly..