Sleeping bags

AT84

I have been using a Northface Cat's Meow synthetic bag for years. Weighs 2lbs 12 oz and packs down to about a watermelon... I'm worried about using down in the cascades. Has anyone used the "Dridown" tech or similiar or have any suggestions to cutting some space/weight for a decent 3 season alpine bag?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Cat's Meow until I lost it and replaced it with a down bag. I have never had a problem keeping the down dry, except when sleeping in a snow cave on Rainier in January. As long as you are sleeping under a tarp or in a tent and you don't crawl into your bag wet, you should have no problem keeping the down dry.

As for down bags, buy a 20 degree bag from Western Mountaineering (Pro Mountain Sports stocks them) or Feathered Friends. Consider it an investment.

I second DPS. I've used down bags in the Cascades for many years and find the increased warmth to weight/bulk ratio of down to be worth the cost and care to keep it dry. I have the Western Mountaineering Ultralight. It compresses to bread loaf size, 20 degree F. rating, and weighs 1 lb. 13 oz. It's held up 15 years so far as my go-to 3 season bag. Feathered Friends, Marmot, and Montbell also make fine down bags. If you really want synthetic, consider options like The North Face Fission or Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina. Hope that helps!

third what Dan and Rick said above. I have been climbing in the cascades for over 24 years now and always used a down bag and never had a situation where my bag got wet. (even in a 5 day Baker august monsoon sufferfest) Not sure where the concept that one needed to have a synthetic bag for around here but it sure is pervassive across the country. Maybe marketing hype?

now if the person would be on some bigwall, slot canyon or deep caving..............

These dudes all hit it. If your sleeping bag is wet, the problem is not the sleeping bag. It's your leaky tent, leaky stuff sack, etc. I don't have the mileage that Gene does in the Cascades, but for my 14 years here I've exclusively used down, including on a number of 6-day courses I worked where it rained the whole time. Some basic gear management, a silnylon drysack, a well-maintained shelter, and a water resistant shell fabric will keep you warm and comfy while keeping your pack smaller and lighter.

I use a Feathered Friends Vireo (one pound, size of a cantaloupe) for 90% of my trips in the Cascades. It has a water resistant shell and it is the tits. Go talk to the peeps over there. Spend the money, do it right, you'll be happy for a long time.