cool views from the air

JoshK

It looks like I may have the opportunity to join my friend flying in his small plane tomorrow. He goes up basically for practice, so he's looking for company and will basically fly wherever his friends want to go.

If anybody has flown a small plane over the cascades, what are particularlly cool places to visit that are particularly dramatic from the air? I was thinking the north cascades (of course) and maybe over near lake chelan?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe...good call, DFA. Thankfully I dont have the motion sickness problem. I actually took lessons about 8 years ago that I got as a present from my folks. To make a long story short, I *love* flying but I can't afford it, so I'm pumped to be able to get up there! bigdrink.gif

Dru, good call on the pickets, hopefully I can talk him into flying that far north. If we end up going up, I'll definitely post pics.

Does the pilot have an instrument license?...

WAZ003-004-017-018-062330-

NORTHERN CASCADE FOOTHILLS-CENTRAL CASCADE FOOTHILLS-WEST SLOPES

NORTHERN CASCADES AND PASSES-WEST SLOPES CENTRAL CASCADES AND PASSES-

NORTH BEND-ENUMCLAW-GOLD BAR-

415 AM PST FRI DEC 6 2002

TODAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. AREAS OF FOG IN THE PASSES. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE 30S. FREEZING LEVEL 8000 FEET. EAST WIND 5 TO 15 MPH EXCEPT LOCALLY BREEZY EAST WIND TO 25 MPH IN THE APPROACHES TO THE PASSES.

TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. AREAS OF FOG IN THE PASSES. FREEZING LEVEL 8000 FEET. EAST WIND 5 TO 15 MPH EXCEPT LOCALLY BREEZY EAST WIND TO 25 MPH IN THE APPROACHES TO THE PASSES.

SATURDAY THROUGH SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. AREAS OF FOG IN THE PASSES. FREEZING LEVEL 7000 FEET. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES 35 TO 40. WIND IN THE PASSES EAST 5 TO 15 MPH.

MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY...RAIN OR SNOW LIKELY. SNOW LEVEL 5000 FEET.

The Cascades are clear today (great views from Seattle) and I would expect them to be more or less the same tomorrow. Low valley fog is possible--especially in Eastern Washington. I wouldn't worry about that MOSTLY CLOUDY forecast.

A good place to fly over would be the Boston Glacier. Everyone knows it's big, but it probably looks even bigger from the air. Or try the Chikamin Glacier area on the north side of Dome Peak. Heck, fly over it all if you can manage enough gas.