top picks

bolt_clipper

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience, and according to my preference, for pure ice the picks can be fucking sharp. At the tip, and along the top.

For black ice (dirt embedded in the ice), alpine outings, and thin ice, I de-tune the edge to avoid chipping the pick, or bending it over, when I inevitably hit something that's not ice. I carry a small flat file -a bastard intended for chainsaws. BTW, I sharpen the picks so they're curved rather than the straight bevel they have from the factory.

Hope this helps.

I second what freeclimb9 said. When I am planing a trip up north to some nice WF ice, my picks are wicked sharp, and I tune them every night between climbs... If I'm going to be doing something that could thrash on my picks, I change them for used up ones or sturdier ones. Find a book that has pictures of tuned picks, or find someone who will show you how. It makes a HUGE difference in how the pick handles in the ice.

I don't agree with the whole wicked sharp thing, at all.

I ussualy sharpen my picks once a year if that. Even when I was using them three times a week in Bozeman. Maybe I will take a burr out or something if I nick the rock.

The more you sharpen them the quicker you will wear them out. Sharper tips get duller quicker...and in my opinion, sharp picks don't make as much of a difference in ice penetration. A low profile pick will displace less ice, whether it is sharp or not. File your picks skinny from top to bottom, but leave them wider horizontaly(don't know a better way to say that???).

icegirl wrote-I second what freeclimb9 said. When I am planing a trip up north to some nice WF ice, my picks are wicked sharp, and I tune them every night between climbs... If I'm going to be doing something that could thrash on my picks, I change them for used up ones or sturdier ones. Find a book that has pictures of tuned picks, or find someone who will show you how. It makes a HUGE difference in how the pick handles in the ice.

I sharpen my picks when they get blunt. That means twice so far in over a year. They work fine. Sharpening your picks every time unnecessarily will shorten the lifespan of your gear. Plus the bar is a better place to spend your evening than some tent or hotel room. evils3d.gif

Mine are razor sharp at the beginning of the season (including my front points) and I tune them throughout the year. In fat, plastic ice it doesn't really matter, but when you're hooking into thin ice, the sharper the better. Cavey's right though...If I'm on the road, I'd rather be at the bar than in the hotel room. I guess if they'll let you sharpen your tools in the bar - that's another story... bigdrink.gif

I don't sharpen my picks all that often either, unless

I've whacked a rock and the tip has bent over. But I

also do what freeclimb says about filing them curved at

the tip which make them stick better and shatter less,

and I bevel the top edge and the teeth which makes it

easier to remove. Basically if you looked at a cross

section it would be a heptagon Geek_em8.gif