[TR] Three O Clock Rock – Penny Lane 8/31/2012

curtveld

Trip: Three O Clock Rock – Penny Lane

Date: 8/31/2012

Trip Report:

Here’s some stoke/beta for another under-appreciated Darrington gem.

Since Casey recently joined my Skagit basin employer, we vowed to climb together. He’d never climbed at Darrington, so we needed to fix that situation ASAP. All systems were good for Friday, so it was off to 3OC for the obligatory intro of Silent Running. After dispatching that, we popped a couple Gus, rapped to the start of Penny Lane and finished our day with a route I’d never done.

The beta: Another well-crafted Dtown slab option you can do as an alternative to the dike pitches of Total Soul or as a half-day route. It keeps your focus, as the steepness and difficulty increase with each pitch.

Pitches 1 (5.7) and 2 (5.8) wander up clean wavy stone. Bolt spacing (all 3/8") is typically around 20 feet, so a tad sporty for the novice slab leader, but not unreasonable. On pitch 2, you need a 1” cam for the overlap. It’s the only gear placement on the entire climb, but don’t forget it because it protects some cruxy moves.

CaseyPenny2.jpg

Heading out on P2

Pitch 3 is the classic: A full rope of clean slab, it starts at 5.7 and steadily increases to around 10-. Smeary yes, but with enough scoops and little chicken-heads to keep you looking around. An awesome lead! 10 bolts.

CaseyPenny3.jpg

Pitch 3, Casey making it look easy - with a top rope

Pitch 4 is steeper, more featured and a bit dirty. It has several 5.10 sequences, including the dark slab with the seam around mid-pitch. Whitelaw’s topo in Weekend Rock is spot-on, showing the crux at the last bolt traversing into the Total Soul belay. But “5.10c”? – I’d give it a 5.10++ (11a?). You can easily fudge it with bolt assistance if needed. If you bring a wire brush, you might discover another crimp and the 10c sequence that eluded me.

CaseyExfo.jpg

Pretty sure he'll be back

A fine day with an outstanding new partner! And the all-too-typical Darrington irony: Good access, gorgeous rock, perfect climbing weather and no other climbers.

Gear Notes:

10 clips, couple small cams, double ropes

Edited by curtveld

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...