Ski bowl Ice

CodyICE

Has anyone ever climbed the ice flows to the right of the main ski run at Ski bowl on? Does it have a name? I climbed it on saturday and it wasn't two bad. The Ice was rotten until the top half. Once you got half way up the Ice was nice enough to set screws. If the weather stays cold up there it could get even better. It would be best to climb it early in the morning. It started to get wet in the afternoon. The approach was waist deep powder. Skis or snow shoes would be recomended. There is a map at http://www.skibowl.com/winpage.htm

Cody

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am from pdx but now live in Seattle,so I dont know about this year. They will form when the Gorge does,and stick around a little longer. they are visible froom the road .about 5 routes will form up on the left side of the bluff . I led one of the steep curtains to steep gullies at WI5+ the place is steep and long requiring 2 ropes. most are tr able with bolts at top. Leading pro is available but take your whole bag of tricks

quote:

Originally posted by wayne1112:
They will form when the Gorge does,and stick around a little longer.

A better phrasing might be IF the Gorge does. We saw a little ice earlier in the season but nothing climbable. Anybody know if Pete's pile is in?

Cody - They're two different places, I think. Don't know where Pete's Pile is. Illumination Rock is on the south side of hood, NW of the top of the Palmer lift. I think I saw you in the Ski bowl lodge on Sat? We were talking about ice off the main run and further up past Tom Dick and Harry? Glad you had fun. I know I had a blast in all that Outback pow. grin.gif" border="0

b-rock, I'm the one you saw wandering up on the ridge and latter with a beer in the pub. Cody is the dude I told you that I saw at the ice with his girlfriend.

Cody, Illumination rock is up on the southwest corner of Mt. Hood at 9500' level. Petes pile is off hwy 35 towards Hoodriver. Find a copy of "Portland Rock Climbs" by Tim Olsen. It lists both of these spots.

• 4 years later...

Yep, too warm, but i'd be interested too. This is over by Tom,Dick,Harry? Where?

I have also been keeping an eye on the top of the cascade chair there at ski bowl (really the top of multorpor mountain). This is the chair far left that's not open too often. At the top of the chair look up and to your left and you should see the mass. It's not huge, but it might be fun and in the right conditions it should go.

For location:

Go to skibowl.com, pull up the ski runs map. Just to climbers' right (skier's left) of the main run from Ski Bowl Peak to the base...about halfway up the mtn there is "Danger Cliffs" or something similar with "Cliffs" shown on the map. The ice forms on this cliffline. Impossible to miss if you look at the ski runs map.

Edit: Here's the map...impossible to miss the "cliffs"

trailmap_huge.jpg

Edited by willstrickland