Summer slabs?

AW13

Hello -

I am visiting WA for a week and would like to get up some moderate (5.10ish) multi-pitch slabs. I know Darrington is a good area; are there any non-south-facing slabs that you would recommend? I am okay climbing in 70 degree F weather in a slab, but my partner would like it a little shadier/cooler. Preliminary research suggests that most slabs are south-facing.

Thanks in advance for the beta!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From personal experience the Blueberry Butt is only in the shade until around 11:00 or so and that it gets mighty warm.

Me and three others spent some time sweltering in the heat while hiding behind the big flake on the forest/bluberry terrace ledge. this picture shows exfoliation dome with simulated sunshine at around the 11:30am time mark.

As you can see the shade is only partial. Once in the sun it is in it directly until late in the day given its west/south west exposure.

Capture.PNG

Yes, I think Blueberry Buttress goes into sun about 11:00 a.m. But that means you can pass the crux before that happens if you start early and are half way efficient about it.

I have climbed all of those west side routes on hot summer days. Jacobs Ladder gets sun the latest, but even the crux portion of that route is seeing sun by about noon.

Just start early. 7:00 works for me, but I know the way. If you have not been there before start a little earlier.

And, if you do go there, I would recommend climbing to the top. Do not follow the route from the Blueberry Terrace upward that is depicted in Climbing Washington. That was probably the original route but it has not been the recommended route for 20 years. A much better route leads upward from maybe 75 yards left.

my web page on these routes.