TR: strobach mtn

jstreet

Matt Dickman and I skied up Strobach mtn on Saturday. We initially went to the concentration of climbs reported by Jason D. Martin in "Ice Climbing in Washington State" (online on CC). There were at least 6 tantalizing ice routes to the right of the “The Septum” (large gulley). And 2 or 3 routes to the left. All were somewhat thin and loose due to the 2 days of very warm and rainy weather prior to saturday, and temperatures where still above freezing. We witnessed some ice and rock fall so we passes on these routes and moved on... we traversed a mile or so to the west along the base of strobach scarp to another concentration of climbs. The most notable one is a nearly dead vertical pillar, maybe 100 to 150 feet high (WI 5?), followed a couple of shorter more moderate ice pitches and steep snow. After a bit of scouting we found 2 short single pitch routes to climb that we felt were safe. See attached photos...

Img_1621.jpgImg_1634.jpgImg_1623b.jpgImg_1601.jpgImg_1572.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the area you are referring to as "The Septum" is actually known as "Seperation Gully", The Septum is located about 1/4 mile past the big group of climbs and refers to the large buttress of rock that towers over the "split rock" boulder. The very next ice climb past this area is known as "First Ice on the Right" and the climbs that you were on are all virgin climbs to the best of my knowledge.

p.s. those are some great pictures that you took, I have yet to get that close to the multipitch route to the far right.Larry Nevers

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: Star Rider ]

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

how long does it take to get into these flows? how long does it take to drive there from bellingham?

A good three-hour approach from the parking area on skis or snowshoes in average snow conditions (although return to car is faster w/skis). Figure three hours from Seattle to parking area + however long it takes from B'ham to Seattle. This assumes I-5 to Seattle, I-90 to E'burg, I-84 to Yakima, and then SR-12 towards White Pass to the South Tieton River Road and the parking area.