Post-PatrioEjacula Memorial Day Reality Check

prole

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know why anybody should feel personally guilty about something somebody else did, but I guess we're a pretty strange species.

It seems to me that guilt is usually felt when, you know, you're guilty? I don't remember ever bringing smallpox to any natives. Aren't those somebody else's crimes? I don't know why I'm supposed to feel guilty when I discuss it.

I dunno, it all seems so catholic.

It seems to me that guilt is usually felt when, you know, you're guilty?

Which is why it's so interesting that Kojak immediately brings it up whenever a social issue is raised.

Personally, I think it's probably a far less effective means of engagement than reason or humor. Or provocation, for that matter. I simply posted the chart, guilt entered the conversation somewhere else down the line...

It seems to me that guilt is usually felt when, you know, you're guilty?

Which is why it's so interesting that Kojak immediately brings it up whenever a social issue is raised.

Personally, I think it's probably a far less effective means of engagement than reason or humor. Or provocation, for that matter. I simply posted the chart, guilt entered the conversation somewhere else down the line...

I did not bring it up, Rob did. Post #2, repeated for you edification:

Rob: "Rad's guilty-liberal whine about having to explain the crying native americans to his children was the best."

And it seems to be what you progressives live by - trying to impose "guilt" on people who are better off than others. So Rob is actually spot on.

Edited by KaskadskyjKozak

You'd rather remain ignorant of the state of the nation than have this stuff thrust in your face, I get that.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I'd rather that you presented a critical view of American policy without also making fun of people who spent the previous day grateful for American heroes, which is how this thread started (and what the other one turned into).

Maybe I'm just wrong, but it seems to me that your message (and j_b's) is generally that it is wrong to have an overall favorable view of America -- virtually anytime anything positive is stated, you respond with a criticism. It's almost like you don't want there to be anything positive.

Your message would be better received (by me, at least) if it didn't seem like you had an axe to grind.

I mean, that's basically the message, right? "Don't be patriotic! Look at this. You should be ashamed, instead!"

Yep. And let's ignore that Americans are generous, help others, and that here we actually talk about and do things for those less fortunate. But none of that counts in the OP's original chart.

You'd rather remain ignorant of the state of the nation than have this stuff thrust in your face, I get that.

[img:center]http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/500/Whatever_Bunny.jpg[/img]

At this point it seems the best way to continue discussion is by using images like these.

[font:Comic Sans MS]Please note I am posting this as a joke. [/font]

The problem is that everyone wants a simple solution with immediate gratification... there isn't one. You won't find love bangin jenna jameson.

The silver bullet is education.

More money in schools - Aimlessly throwing money into education would be like giving a 16 year old more money in the hope they figure out that some of it needs to go to college savings. Instead it needs to go to a specific place where your ROI is highest - pay teachers six figure salaries so that the competition to get a job is totally ruthless and the caliber of teaching is far greater than it is now. Might have to axe the union too. But guaranteed that within 5 years, you'd have some of the best and brightest teachers in the world. Then in 10 to 15 years, our doctors and engineers and economy will dominate the world!

I mean, that's basically the message, right? "Don't be patriotic! Look at this. You should be ashamed, instead!"

Yep. And let's ignore that Americans are generous, help others, and that here we actually talk about and do things for those less fortunate. But none of that counts in the OP's original chart.

Singing Kumbayah and blowing red, white, and blue smoke up each other's asses doesn't show up in the chart? Must be something wrong with the maths.

Singing Kumbayah and blowing red, white, and blue smoke up each other's asses doesn't show up in the chart? Must be something wrong with the maths.

See, there it is again. You seem to have a real problem with anybody having a favorable opinion of America at anytime, for any reason.