Stuart/Colchuck Lake TH Closed

fredrogers

Ouch. Nice thread drift, guys. Had to skim all of Page 2.

I just got a permit in the mail for Aug 8-11. My buddies and I really want to off-trail it into Coney and beyond via the old logging road spur at the Colchuck TH. Assuming that there are not armed guards at the closure, seems like we might be able to park at eightmile TH and walk past the construction in the evening without making any major disruption. I've never been up that road past the eightmile TH, how feasable is it that if these bridges were under construction, that we could walk through? I am a climber, but the guys I'm going with are not, and we will not have any gear with us except maybe I'll bring a pair of slippers and a chalk bag. smile.gif" border="0

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erik,

Five miles each way is not acceptable. Especially when there's a perfectly good road that is open to the 8Mile TH. I think we'll be just fine parking at the 8Mile TH and walking the extra mile to the Colchuck TH. Sounds like the creek is passable if we decide to go that way. I am hoping to make that decision after the road is closed.

If it look like we can't get in that way, any one been in to Lost World Plateau via either the Rat Creek or Hook Creek drainage? They both look heinous on the map!

Oh, and thanks so much for the advice on packing my pack.....I couldn't have done it without you.

quote:

Originally posted by allison:
Erik,

Five miles each way is not acceptable. Especially when there's a perfectly good road that is open to the 8Mile TH. I think we'll be just fine parking at the 8Mile TH and walking the extra mile to the Colchuck TH. Sounds like the creek is passable if we decide to go that way. I am hoping to make that decision after the road is closed.

If it look like we can't get in that way, any one been in to Lost World Plateau via either the Rat Creek or Hook Creek drainage? They both look heinous on the map!

Oh, and thanks so much for the advice on packing my pack.....I couldn't have done it without you.

easy there sista!!!! 5 miles is the hike up the closed road from 8mile campground....reread what i wrote.....8mile th is up beyond the road closure...

chalk is unsighly and not needed at the crag or the mtns.....

Oh, and thanks so much for the advice on packing my pack.....I couldn't have done it without you.[/QB]

Allison- I went in to the Lost World via the Totekie (sp)? approach last year. It is the single-worst, heart-breaking pieceof shit death-hike I've been on. Don't go that way unless you like steep, lose and dusty remnants of climbers paths.

I've been told by knowledgeable sources that there is a better way in by hooking a right at Nada Lake and going in via the Temple drainage. Or, if you don't mind the mileage, go through the lower Enchantments and ove Prussik Pass.

The Lost worl Plateau is one of the most beautiful areas I've had the good fortune to visit. And hard enough to get to that it we didn't see anyone else the entire time we were there.

"I went in to the Lost World via the Totekie (sp)? approach last year. It is the single-worst, heart-breaking pieceof shit death-hike I've been on. Don't go that way unless you like steep, loose and dusty remnants of climbers paths.

I've been told by knowledgeable sources that there is a better way in by hooking a right at Nada Lake and going in via the Temple drainage. Or, if you don't mind the mileage, go through the lower Enchantments and over Prusik Pass.

The Lost world Plateau is one of the most beautiful areas I've had the good fortune to visit. And hard enough to get to that it we didn't see anyone else the entire time we were there."

Hmmm...interesting. The Toketie route actually looks like the "easiest" way in besides going over Prusik. I'm curious as to whether you go off trail regularly or occasionally, because "single-worst heartbreaking POS" sounds pret-ty bad. Someone just PM'ed me that that way was NOT that bad.

Also, anyone been up the Temple drainage?

Yes, I've seen pix of the LWP, and it looks to be worth every step of the death-march that trip purports to be. Beeee-yooutyful!

BTW, Erik, I still can't PM you, I'm "ignored", and Bug, our party's actually already full, but thanks anyway. I am fortunate enough to have a lot of buddies whose wives or GFs don't like to hike. [Moon]

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: allison ]

quote:

Hmmm...interesting. The Toketie route actually looks like the "easiest" way in besides going over Prusik. I'm curious as to whether you go off trail regularly or occasionally, because "single-worst heartbreaking POS" sounds pret-ty bad. Someone just PM'ed me that that way was NOT that bad.

[/QB]

Allison- as of last September, there's not much of a "trail" to speak of- just a shitty loose climbers path that heads straight up through an old fire burn. If you guys aren't carrying a ton of climbing gear- which it sounds like you won't be- may it won't be as bad as it was for us... I thought the approach into Challenger was easier and more pleasant, if that helps. (Although that was 2 years ago and painful memories do fade).

Allison,

My climbing partner and I went up through the Lost World Plateau via the old logging road from Colchuck TR to climb Prussik South Face in the fall. It's a neat place, but not a recommended route if you are on a mission with a timeline and have a load - it was a grunt. I also did a traverse over Asgard over Prussik Pass to the Edward Plateau and out Hook Cr with a v. light day pack. That was possibly the worst descent I've been "privileged" to participate in and we were traveling light - steep wooded game trails, several thousand feet of steep boulder talus-hopping and lots of cliffs to navigate around. I can't think that it would be much fun going up. Both the Edward and Lost World Plateaus are amazing places though and well worth the effort. Have fun

I plan on 30# pack weight maximum, probably more like 25#. As for the other guys, well, they like to bring fishing gear, but they're sturdy lads. I'm not expecting any sort of a trail. If there is one, fine, but this crowd kind of "prefers" there to be no trail. I'm more concerned with the route being super-brushy or a slippery dusty scree-fest. Both of those factors can really cramp my style.

I talked to a party in the Upper Enchantments once who said they had gotten there via taking a right at Nada Lake and proceeding along the north side of Mt Temple Ridge. They said it wasn't too steep, but also admitted they had had to rope up at one very steep and bushy area.

Those of you interested in exploring the ethics of roadbuilding and increased access should check out this site: Wildlands Center for Preventing Roads

Allison,

To my recollection both routes are neither, though the Hook Cr route could be ugly if wet as I remember some v. steep heather slopes and lots of big rocks. Not much in the brush-wacking or small, slippery, slidy scree department though. Actually, the run up from Colchuck via the logging road becomes relatively clear sailing after a couple of thousand feet of gain. Just lots of sidehilling and scrambling.

Twice I've done the Nada Lake approach to Temple Canyon. Three times, come to think of it. Ther is a bit of climbing through the trees but other than that it is a scramble and a pleasant walk up the slabs toward Tamarack meadows. Last time we climbed the North side of High Priest and Temple and then traversed across to Prusik Pass and looped down through the Enchantments. The traverse was without a path and some looser rock here and there. A great trip though.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:
I agree there might be a hidden agenda. But even so, Retro’s thoughts strike me as nothing than his usual selfish thoughts. His main motivation seems to reduce “others” ability to easily access an area that he has quick and easy access to. Let’s say you drove from Bremerton, Portland or BC - a few miles can easily change the viability of a weekend trip dramatically. Retro of course agrees with this. Hopefully whatever the NPS’ motivations they will not be nearly as self serving as Retro’s. If each choice is always analyzed by how it impacts me directly and in isolation, we will all wake up someday in some place we’d never imagined. Then when we say “how did we get here” it’ll too late..

hike faster to go extra miles...like Fred did tongue.gif" border="0[big Drink][big Drink]

No, you twink, the road is going to be closed between the 8Mile TH and the Colchuck TH. That's about 4 miles up the road. I did read your post correctly.

And thanks so much for the helpful LNT 101, having only been hiking in these woods for a couple of decades, I wouldn't know that chalk was unsightly.

I was going to respond to your PM on this subject, but since you've decided to put me on your 'ignore' list, I guess I'll have to keep the conversation public. Seems odd that you sent such a nice PM and then hit the big 'Ignore.' What gives?