Looking for Ushba-like Ascenders

yasso1am

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on icy ropes I'd rather have a toothed ascender. If you actually use them you'll see that they don't actually cut up the rope, something I was very worried about until I actually did some jugging on the petzl ascenders.

Toothed works great going up, but gives no protection on the way down, which is why the OP is looking for other options. Ushba acsenders work fine on icy ropes BTW.

The Denali fixed lines do count as stiff ropes. Has anyone tried the Trango cinch?

petzl microcender

Thanks for the suggestion, but as Alasdair said, I need something a little different than a strict ascender as it needs to be able to slide easily in both directions (like an Ushba does) and then lock once weighted.

I was thinking about the cinch Alasdair, it may work. I know someone who also has experience with the Lift that may be able to get one in our hands, as I don't want to purchase 10 before we know it works well up there. Maybe someone can trial run it this year?

I've used the CAMP Lift and it's internal mechanism is virtually identical to the Ushba. They both slide up and down equally well and lock as soon as there's a load. Both can be used as a makeshift belay device as well, though they are hard to unlock once heavily loaded.