Carabiner Failure...?

JeffreyR

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For any of you guys whose never found himself Z clipped between a nipple and a clit ring, trust me, some weird sheeit can happen out there.

And no, Jo, its not impossible, by definition. Hook failures all happen under load. I'm doing one armed pullups on a hooked biner as a type, in fact. I can see doubled biners, one taking all the load due to shorter sling, hook getting caught on webbing...I can SEE IT, BY GOD!

All we know is that that poor, maligned little biner, jeez, the thing never meant to hurt anyone, has all the characteristics of a hook failure. Anything more will require a grand jury.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

And no, Jo, its not impossible, by definition. Hook failures all happen under load. I'm doing one armed pullups on a hooked biner as a type, in fact. I can see doubled biners, one taking all the load due to shorter sling, hook getting caught on webbing...I can SEE IT, BY GOD!

Again, there is no way to tension a line while it's nose hooked, can't happen - set one up and try it.

Thanks for all of the info everybody. I just talked with the guys who were using the line when it broke. It sounds like the biner in question was on the non-tensioner end attached to a tree anchor. They claim that the gate was closed and checked.

I am going with the theory that it was just a low quality piece of gear. I usually use a pair of heavy duty steel locking biners that a non-climber friend gave me thinking they would be ideal for the alpine...