Suggestions for winter climbs?

PeakBeggar

Hey CC, I have a question for you! I am looking for some basic winter climbs, preferably on hwy 542 of 20 but anywhere in Western Wa is acceptable, that are rewarding but not outstandingly technical. I have done plenty of bigger climbs in spring and summer throughout the state but not much other than touring on splitboard in the winter. I have some skilled rock climbing friends that want to get on top of some peaks, but have little in mountaineering experience.

Have any suggestions? I can't wait for the spring season to get up there!

Thanks!

Peakbeggar

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought that snoq pass is a great place to go for day trip winter climbing. You got the tooth, chair peak, guye and snoq mtn, all with different ways up to suite your skill level. Get a map and some guide books (beckey and select cascade) and find what works for you there.

for up your way on hwy 20, squak mtn is a nice day trip. pick a line of your skill set and choosing.

Dallas Kloke wrote a winter climbing guide to cascades of the real obscure things. It was based on the idea that small peaks that are ignored in the summer are rad in the winter. He had all kinds of decent climbs to do. Sadly, it is out of print a long time ago and he is no longer with us. Maybe kindly ask his family if they have any more copies or someone can make a photo copy for you.

good luck and watch the avi conditions. It feels like a winter for NOT doing alpine climbing.

Dallas Kloke wrote a winter climbing guide to cascades of the real obscure things. Maybe kindly ask his family if they have any more copies or someone can make a photo copy for you.

The only copy I ever saw was at the Redmond Vertical World.

Thank you for the suggestions. Is "squak mtn" supposed to be "Sauk mtn?" I cannot find squak in the beckey guides but sauk is there and is listed as a good peak for beginning winter ascents.

yeah, sauk and not squak. my bad.

I got a copy of that kloke book somewhere around here. I should look into making it available online. Not sure how I would do it though. Maybe at least make a list of the peaks in the guide.