Becky Route - Liberty Bell

EGibson

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...what a small world...i just talked to tim yesterday...he is in the pyrennes bike riding and im picking him up at airport in seattle on 10/4....he was best man at my wedding...anyhow...well i can climb any time between Fridays and Tuesdays...(work Tuesday thru Thursday). I guess it might have started to snow up at liberty bell? What do you like in Leavenworth? I'm mostly into multi pitch moderate stuff myself...

I love this route and have probably climbed it ten times over 30 years. It is under-rated both in terms of difficulty and cool-ness, in my opinion.

The "one move" 5.7 slab is at least that, and the lower sections of the route, too, are more than bargained for. But given the right encouragement, anybody can do it and the entire thing, especially if you go down to the tourist overlook afterward to bask in your glory (better not to do this before with a party that includes the uninitiated), is one of the best day-climbs around for new climbers. Or experienced climbers, for that matter. It is a very exciting summit and not hard to reach and this is one cool piece of stone.

By "given the right encouragement" I'm referring to the fact that, although not technically huge, this climb is really quite a serious climb for one who might not have done a technical peak climb before. I've had more than one "epic" where the participants needed special coaching beyond and above a simple top rope. Enjoy this route, and if you are totally competent on this kind of thing take your friends and kids and spouses, but don't underestimate it. Liberty Bell is full value.

I completely agree with MattP. After having done the North Face, Liberty Crack, and Thin Red Line, I found the Beckey Route to be and engaging climb on terrific rock and certainly not easy (at least for me).

Recently my wife asked if I had any 'fantasies'. I told her I wanted to spend the night on Liberty Bell. She thought I was weird.