Pete's Pile

MrGecko

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great (small) place. Solid rock and 5 star moderate 5.7-5.10 mostly shorter crack climbs. Basically do the 10 min trail, and as soon as you get to the base, pick a crack and climb it. Lots of small nuts and cams. Single rope. You can walk off if you do top out on something like Doug Hutchinson's 3 pitch route "Pumpin for the Man" towards the northern side and don't want to rap. A lot of the cracks can be done as a half pitch.

Listed on the USDA's website for a climbing area near Mt Hood.

usda? hmmmm

Listed on the USDA's website for a climbing area near Mt Hood. Anyone have any info on this area? Routes, approach, gear/bolts and quality?

I anticipate more choss with a name like Pete's Pile but ya never know

Pete's "Pile"

that is a good name for the place. Its OK to visit if you are passing by, but not a destination. IMO. Have fun!

[video:youtube]

I was reminded this weekend that the name Pete wanted to call it was "Sunshine Dihedrals". The word "Pile" is a misnomer, there are some short 5 star moderate cracks there. Better than anything at Beacon in the range IMO. Just not enough of them. No bolted lines although there is plenty of other cliffs not too far away with plenty of bolts if that's your gig.

Hope you got up there Gecko. the sun hits it @ 1pm, so on these hot days if you can get up before that, it's very pleasant. Take a full rack with lots of small pro, the cracks eat cams and nuts.

I only have a single picture of the place, belaying Ujahn up to a stance. It was a while ago cause I still had all my hair and it was blond. LOL

178516-largest_33681.jpg

Add "not crowded" to the list of positive attributes the place has.

worth mentioning there was serious construction work on 35 the other week that was supposed to last a few more weeks i think - might present some problems parking

It's further down towards Hood River Ivan, parking for Sunshine Dihedrals :) is unaffected. There is a traffic light where you can wait @ 5 min to get through but that's the only hindrance.

worth mentioning there was serious construction work on 35 the other week that was supposed to last a few more weeks i think - might present some problems parking

The construction does not effect the parking in that area at all.

For Pete's Sake is an awesome 5.8 and to the left of it is The Guillotine. It goes at 5.10. Even is a 5.7 trad route to warm up on. It is further left by a big tree. The place is dusty. So bring a ground cloth or use your rope bag to keep your rope out of the dirt.

Pete's Pile

Nearby is Bulo Point and Area 51.

Bulo Point

Area 51

Jet Stream is the best route at Bulo Point. It is bolted and a real wild ride.

Jet Stream