Which Climb - Shuksan vs. Baker

mplutodh1

We had a climb planned this weekend on the Sulphide Glacier route of Shuksan but due to that route being crowded we're contemplating the following:

1) Baker via Coleman-Deming

2) Shuksan via White Salmon

Given the choice - which would you go with?

I'm leaning towards Baker - I don't know much about the Salmon River route on Shuksan.

We're going with a guide.

Edited by mplutodh1

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is White Salmon more technical?

From what we were told they are all three about the same. The group is leaning more towards Baker because we've heard the summit pyramid on Shuksan can get quite crowded and you get stuck waiting for groups (in some cases even having to turn around).

Most of the group is completely inexperienced and in most cases won't be going out again for something like this.

I'm climbing Rainer with AAI in a couple weeks and just using this climb as training / prep. Think after both of the climbs (regardless of the route we pick) and some time in Avy/crevasse classes this winter I'll have some experience to go with groups of climbers with experience and not need a guide.

shuksan via white salmon glacier would be great.

But the summit pryamid is the only place where it might feel crowded. So if you go via the salmon glacier, you may be in the same bottleneck.

Oh yeah, there is a ridge alternative for the summit pryamid that can bypass the crowds that tend to go up the middle of the face. Any way up the summit pyramid is no place for complete inexperienced folks though.

Also, the route you choose should depend on your skill level. Are you ready for the white salmon glacier? It is a bit steeper than C-D or sulphide.

Edited by genepires

If you want the full-on glacier/crevasse mountain expirience go for Baker. Shuksan is a worthy goal but lacks the "big" feel that you get with something like baker. Of course, I may be biased since I have grown up in Washington around mountains.

Edited by jordansahls

I'm climbing Rainer with AAI in a couple weeks and just using this climb as training / prep. Think after both of the climbs (regardless of the route we pick) and some time in Avy/crevasse classes this winter I'll have some experience to go with groups of climbers with experience and not need a guide.

Good on ya. This brief apprenticeship will serve you well. For the record I agree with Jordan. Do the CD on Baker. It should be great this year and will be the experience you're looking for IMO/

Good luck,

d

If most of your group is inexperienced and wants a "one-time" experience, I think I'd recommend Baker over Shuksan. It is a straight forward climb with no fooling around in the bushes and it will place you on top of a major landmark that if they are from the NW they will see on a regular basis (assuming all goes well). Baker is also a better preparation for Rainier in terms of the overall environment. You will probably camp on snow and there is a large amount of glacier travel involved.

Shuksan, however, is a very cool mountain. It is very beautiful and, yes, the White Salmon is actually more challenging than the Coleman Demming on Baker. It will also provide a little more of a wilderness experience.

Haha don't worry - I'll climb Shuksan at some point (maybe next summer). I brew my own homebrew beer and while in college at Western chose the name Shuksan Brewing for my little 'operation' because of how much I've always appreciated what an awesome mountain Shuksan is. Only seems fitting that I stand on top!

Well Ok then. Meat now, vegetables later. But in terms of coolness, and excitement, you oughtta talk your guide into taking you up the North Face of Shuksan. It is not a beginners' climb, but it is not hard in a technical sense. And it is WAY cool.