Gumby pant shiter TR

Terminal_Gravity

I thought I'd share this with the gang of sprayers.

The other day I found myself rappeling 180 feet down a single 6mm non-spectra static cord. I thought my bowels were going to release for sure when I had to jump past a little overhang.

Here's how not to do it.

I was roped-soloing a 2 pitch local face. I was doing a steeply rising traverse from one established route to another on moderate face to gain a higher anchor and ran out of rope shy of the ledge system. I was on a pretty good stance and the 4 or so moves to the ledge seemed about 5.6 so rather than down climb about 30 ft I decided to untie and free solo the last 6 feet. I planned to tie into the anchor with my auxillary rope (doubled up) lower back to the main rope tie it off and rap' to retrieve gear before reclimbing to do the second pitch.

Yes i've dropped the odd piece of gear in my history but to my horror a gust of wind hit after I had untied the knot completely and since I was a full pitch up and concentrating on the rock the rope some how got away from me...and managed to pull through a few of my running belays lower down.

After reaching the anchor I was faced with 3 chioces:

Free solo unknown rock above...I don't think so.

Double my 6mm and try to swing to my main rope about 50 feet below and 20 feet over. I didn't like the thought of scraping such a thin cord along the rock.

or, what I did and rapple on a single line to the ground...more fun than I had intended; fer sure. [big Drink]

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

Or did you mean rapping off it? The answer is no. But I've climbed with guys who swore that it was a reasonable alternative as a second rope for emergency escape purposes. Hope that answers your question. Dennis

Yeah; I did mean rapping off Parachute cord; which sounds alot more emotionally troubling than jumping out of a plane...which I have done about 780 times less than you...because I found it boring.