• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
danhelmstadter

[TR] Chair Peak - NE Buttress ski 4/19/2011

Trip: Chair Peak - NE Buttress ski

Date: 4/19/2011

Trip Report:

Yesterday I had the pleasure of climbing and skiing the NE Buttress of Chair Peak with Drew Tabke. We found good ice, and good skiing. Careful snowpack evaluation and safe travel techniques were necessary as there were some weaknesses and loaded areas, though we were blessed with ideal cool and cloudy/sun breaky weather which helped to hold things together while affording visibility for the descent.

It was nice to end the day with a few laps in late day sun at Vantage.

Drew's TR with photos.

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=20601.msg87757

Nicely done Dan. Your reports do change our psychology of the do-able, but beware the backlash because climbers are ambivalent about people skiing their lines. :)

Very good work Dan!

I strongly suspect it was highly enevitable that the route be skiied. The evolution of alpinism.

Were the NE Buttress of Chair Peak somwhere near Chamonix I have no doubt it would have been skiied some time ago.

However, my comments do nothing to demean your fine skill set, and you guys noting that the conditions were there to make it reasonable for you to do so.

When I climbed it some years back I wouldn't have thought (at that point in time) that it was a potential ski. My how things have changed.

Congrats and all props to you two. Almost makes me want to run up there tomorrow to just check out what tracks may remain.

Keep at it Dan!

Trip: Chair Peak - NE Buttress ski

Date: 4/19/2011

Trip Report:

It was nice to end the day with a few laps in late day sun at Vantage.

Let me guess, you skied Bob's Your Uncle and Sensimilla... :crazy:

Nice going bro!

That's a killer ski line! I've looked at it for years and thought about it but lacked the guts to do it.

Way to go :tup::tup:

Drew and Dan - so freaking rad! This is the year I expect to see many other climbing testpieces fall to your (and others) edges.

Besides the ski, climb; later that same day/evening we assisted Drew closing down the bar in a North SEA taqueria for a triple crown.

Bonus points for the division of labor - one posts on cc.com and one on TAY - that is teamwork. Thanks for the stoke.

Gnar dudes!

seen your rig this saturday afternoon in the tumwater. was expecting something coming from the east side,,, then this!

Nice style Dan and Drew!