Sleeping bag- FF vs WM

duckfeet

I'm looking to replace a marmot atom that I always froze in and am checking out the FF Merlin and WM Summerlite. Both are pretty similar in the cut. FF has a little more fill, WM is a bit lighter. I've never seen FF stuff, but hear its nice. I can check out the summerlite for fit, feel, etc... Anyone have anything really positive or neg to push one bag in front of the other? I've heard some complaints about the hoods on FF, any truth?

I'm also looking to spend more time in the Cascades and the climate seems similar to the Bitterroots so do you guys find a 30 degree bag to be pretty useable this time of year through early-mid fall?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I have been looking at both the WM Summerlite and the FF Merlin. I have a WM Apache Super Dryloft and a FF Widgeon both of which have kept me warm at temperatures far below their ratings. In terms of quality, durability, cut, etc, I find the two brands to be very similar.

As far as your second question, I would say it depends upon your objective. Doing Rainier right now with a 30 degree bag might leave you a bit chilly but would be fine at lower elevations. For later spring/summer/early fall a 30 degree bag would be ideal.

I've used sleeping bags made by both companies and found them to be well made and durable. I like the WM Ultralight (rated to 20 degrees)for 3 season climbing here...except when it gets hotter weather, then I go for a lighter bag (Montbell Alpine Down Hugger). My FF bag hood fit just fine, so I can't support that rumor. DPS is right, conditions can vary...as well as individual comfort levels. Good Luck!

we have FF Lark and WM Ultralight. Ultralight is really a winner in my book! just a great all-around bag. hood is great, zipper never snags, great for 3 season or even winter when it is not too cold. I find the zipper on the Lark snags like a mofo--pretty irritating if WM can make a near-snagfree zipper, that FF can't. Though i've read the design on FF is easier to repair if there was an issue. 400+ nights in the WM Ultralight and no zipper failure so I'll take a better mechanism. I do find the hood on the WM better, but that isn't to say there is a problem with the one on FF--WM was just easier/better cord/setup it seemed.

FWIF also WM and FF will zip-together--we paid a bit extra for the zip to be on the proper side for the Lark to zip into the ultralight. This has given us (as a couple) a better temp range.

I've been a long time user of the WM bags. I live in the PNW and through winter and still this time of year I reach for my wife's WM ultralight (20) or my WM Apache dryloft (15) (looks like new after 15 years and 100+ nights). I grab the summerlight late May through early Oct more or less. I have been to the FF shop many times and think highly of their stuff but still prefer the WM bags. If WM ever pushes production off shore I'll likely move to FF instead. If you want complete custom colors/materials/fill FF can't be beat.

Been using the FF (3 different bags) for 2 decades. Hoods are good and I don't know where one could complain about. Damn good stuff and durable. Plus they don't sell pitons to newbies.

Never had a WM so I can't comment on a comparison.

Might come down to what you can find cheaper.