Crag.com down... Could it be?

bellemontagne

what about a per post fee?? or we can put a value base on posts. spray $4(trask have your gold card ready!!!), real beta free with other drivel falling somewhere in between.

or maybe we can get in with the forrest service and join up on the nw trail pass. remember 80% of it stays right here for enforcement(oops! i meant improvements)

i also think jon and tim should drink for freewhen around cc.comers. obvious reasons why.

though i think pop up ads would be the worst idea ever.

i am sure north face and splitter cams would be into giving you guyz some money. their products are soo talked about here! [Razz]

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like JayB's ideas, with the possible exception of color-coding people's names according to the amount they donate -- simply because there's a wide range of incomes on this site. I do think that having a single color for anyone who's donated anything would be motivational, and I would hope that people's concience would keep them from sending in $1...

I think the "thermometer" idea is a great one, though maybe having it as something more appropriately corny like a climb? (How far up the Nose/Town Crier!/pickaclimb are we?)

I know that I for one would be happy to donate $$ to keep this site going and think it's wrong that the guys putting all the work into it are also currently putting all the $$!

If implementing Jay's idea would be fairly simple, how about using that as a starting point and seeing if it works, in an effort to leave corporate sponsorship as a last resort.

THANKS JON & TIM!

UNTIL I CAN BUY ONE FOR YOU IN PERSON, HERE'S TO YA!

[big Drink][big Drink]

All Good ideas. Do you think that a board of directors or something would be able to make thease kinds of decisions? Perhaps gain non profit status... You are a service. A three person board that meets Once a year can obtain non-profit status for roughly 1500$. If every one who posts here donated one dollar (avitars pay extra), that would probaly cover it. Depends on if you want to Make money on this or just keep it going. The options are limitless. [Wink]

I know that over on rockclimbing.com, they take donations and list the people who've contributed much as you're suggesting. That site has a TON of users, and they don't seem to raise much money that way. I'm not saying it won't work, just that in the few places I've seen it tried, it didn't fare well. Nothing like a good brainstorming session...keep 'em coming.

Hey Sayjay:

I'm with you on the color coding idea. I probably didn't explain that idea clearly enough, but what I meant to suggest was a donor vs. non-donor scheme so you could see which of the frequent posters had made a contribution and who had not - rather than a scheme that told you how much someone had contributed. That would clearly be lame as everyone's circumstances are different.

Having said that though, I do think that setting a $5 minumum on contributions or something in that range would be appropriate as odds are that if you're online you can handle shelling out the 5 bucks, and anything less than that might be more of a hassle to collect and deposit than it's worth.

i dont know much about this. but i think that if oyu attempt to collect fees in most manners, that then da govt might look at this as a possible revenue source and may want a piece of the action??

really i think it should be low down and under the table kinda op. you know like the mafia or something....

but like i said i dont know much about it.

i know there are some experts around here that could sahed light on the subject!?

Jay: I agree with the minimum contribution idea.

Erik: Ouch, good point. Maybe if it wasn't obvious to an outsider. Like, have the donation thermometer be how far we are up the infamous Brittney Spears climb.

Only problem is the boys would lose motivation to donate once we reached certain certain, um, ledges. [Razz]

Good luck keeping it under the table. Unkey sam has his finger in everyones pot... Wouldn't want to see anyne take a "fall" if you know what I mean. Do know that non-profits can collect donations with out much hassel. Hate to harp.. But I have seen it work.

P.S. donations then become tax deductible [Wink]

It seems that cc.com is a labor of love, and the guys running the show are fine with that for the time being. However, if there does come a time when cc.com needs some money, I have some suggestions:

1) Sell t-shirts. Put beta on them so people don't have to hunt around here for it. Put some quotes from spray on them so everyone can share our humor (and we can offend people without computers). List the Top 10 reasons to stay away from cc.com. The possibilities are endless...

2) Bare-knuckle boxing matches between the people around here who want to settle their differences for once and for all! You could place bets with cc.com acting as the house, or we could all make pledges and agree to donate a dollar for every punch someone takes.

3) Throw an annual cc.com fund raiser (aka party). No need to align with the corporate world, just have it by and for cc.com. This would give all the factions a chance to meet face to face. Have a band. Have a keg. Charge admission. Think pub club, only bigger! This would also be a good place to hold the bare-knuckle boxing matches (and/or women's mud wrestling matches - they say they like to get dirty?).

Thanks for the conversation everyone. I don't think there is really a simple answer to this but luckily it's not really a problem at the moment.

With the little research I've done we could most likely generate a significant amount of money from advertising (a site I know of with MUCH less traffic than us generates over $500/month), but you got to look at whether it is really necessary based on user response and the time involved in doing such a thing. For me it's not worth spending 10 odd hours a month dealing with advertisers on this site if it were only generating say $100. I'd much rather spend my time doing something like, god forbid, maybe actually going climbing. Now if it were easy than I'd say sure lets do it, pay for the site fees, maybe kick a little back to people committing lots of time, and then donate the rest to a good cause/s like the Access Fund or something along those lines.

Setting up a nonprof could be an idea but at $1500 it's hardly worth it, you could set up a LLC for cheaper and actually make off better cause of tax breaks.

The idea of users donating with some sort of recognition for doing so has been contemplated using something like PayPal but to be honest I hate asking people for money, not saying we wouldn't/couldn't do this. Uncle Sam wouldn't be a problem as long as you weren't pocketing anything (or at least that they could prove [Razz] ).

Whatever the solution is I think it would be nice to eventually find a way where there is enough people involved and money somehow generated that the site is self sufficient, or at least not riding completely on two people, because hiding in here is some serious beta and I think it would be pretty stupid for it to disappear.

Anyways again this isn't a crisis or anything I thought it might make interesting conversation about something people probably seldom thing about.

[big Drink]