This fight is about the kids?

kevbone

The Federal government won't be riding to the rescue. Political economy won't allow that unless it goes to all states, which would never fly in Congress or the bond market. Any state or local official who sticks his head in the sand and waits for a Federal bailout will wind up inflicting even more pain on both the public employees and the constituents who elected them by allowing the deficits to expand while they delay the inevitable restructuring.

Your poor rationalizations (corporatists are preventing the fed gov from bailing out the states) for your not wanting to cut the war budget, effectively tax the wealthy and corporations, cut all unnecessary corporate welfare are really irrelevant.

Demagogues like you made it toxic for politicians to discus raising progressive taxation, yet you now blame politicians for their demagoguery and their passing the buck onto the future. Your argument is transparent and worthy of an anti-government zealot.

Nice try, but I'm in front of the line for slashing the pentagon budget. Do we really need armed forces in 78 countries around the world or be out spending other countries in military budgets - combined - by 2x? No, of course not.

But similarly you don't seem to grasp the need to be serious about fiscal responsible on the state level. Malfeasance on one level is not justification to apply it on another.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. In general, I think what separates us is that I tend to stay on topic. The argument that because there are inequities on the federal level - military inflated budgets, federal tax breaks for the rich, etc. that that somehow absolves the states from taking responsibility for their actions - where the federal white knight is not going to come to the rescue - and that conservative - meaning reasonable - budget approaches should be implemented.

I know the dodge. You have practiced it here often enough, but IMHO only a fool or a dimwit would, for just one example among many, deny that health care cost (hardly a state issue) is the main cause of debt at all level including state of course. So please keep your silly rhetorical sausage making to yourself: the war budget, taxing who can be taxed, and going after tax heaven even in if they are in the lower 48 are all issues that are 100% connected to state budgets.

In general I think the middle class is getting the big stick up the butt lately but mostly because of their laziness and and choice in leaders. But the left is winging itself by defending unsustainable policies veiled in class warfare. Seriously - grow up already, call a spade a spade, and I'm on board. I'm really tired of programs, such as government pensions, sucking funds from essential, and more worthy, progressive programs.

I'll let your monologue stand for itself.

Nice try, but I'm in front of the line for slashing the pentagon budget. Do we really need armed forces in 78 countries around the world or be out spending other countries in military budgets - combined - by 2x? No, of course not.

Your verbal commitment is admirable but it means shit if you aren't willing to stick with it and get something in return.

But similarly you don't seem to grasp the need to be serious about fiscal responsible on the state level. Malfeasance on one level is not justification to apply it on another.

there is no fiscal responsibility without social justice. How could you even be fiscally responsible without raising fair taxes? what nonsense!

Are u guys still arguing about this? Didn't anyone win yet? I'm pretty sure nobody has made a new argument in at least three days.

I don't think anyone would call it arguing after the first page or so -- as usual it quickly moves into arm-waving

hysterical - characterized by or arising from psychoneurotic hysteria