First pair of hardshell pants

hbrogers

i am looking for a pair of hardshell pants. i need a 30 inch inseam and am having a hard time finding the right kind. i'm going to be climbing the eldorado peak and adams in june so i have a little time. i can get 40% of mountain hardwear, patagonia, the north face and possibly arcteryx. ill get the beta ar pants if i can but if not what would yall recommend?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming that you will have the option of going when the weather is good, you really only need the pants for either wind protection (maybe..maybe not still) or for a freak (probably short) shower. Chances are the pants will stay in the pack the whole trip. Climbing all day in waterproof pants is not that desirable in the lower 48.

So I would suggest something that is very light, easy to put on and very very cheap. Emphasis on the light and cheap. I would use your 40% for a good pair of softshell pants and get something like a full zip Marmot precip pants. It has been a while since I had a pair but I think they are about $90. Maybe even a pair of nylon pullover pants like sierra designs that ran for about $30. (I forget the name)

Maybe not even bother with shell pants at all? I can't even remember using shell pants in the WA summer time in the last 7 years. There was that one rainy august in 04.............

Better yet, go knickers. See DPS tip for making them.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1004784/Re_purposing_soft_shell_pants#Post1004784

Edited by genepires

Personally I like the idea of two pair of shell pants. One would be a quality sturdy pair for longer trips when you know you'll be needing them. The arcteryx beta would be a good pair IMO. For shorter trips or in fine weather a lighter pair of packable would be the best option. They wont be as durable as your high-dollar pair but they will be fine for just in case. Some people don't like the full zips due to weight, but I don't like removing my boots in a rainstorm. The Marmot Precip is a good buy, somewhere in the last day or 2 I saw them on sale(maybe Sierra Trading Post?) Dave A.

I have a pair of nice, three layer hardshell pants by Cloudveil I would be willing to sell you. They have about a 30" inseam and about 32" waist but it has some elastic in it. They were like $300 new but I would take $50 for them. Email bighurtbob@hotmail.com if interested.

i just bought the marmot precip pants, otherwise i'd take you up on your offer DPS. anyone know anything about the mammut mamook gtx boots? im thinking about getting a used pair from whittaker mountaineering but im a little hesitant since they're used. i'm wondering if they'll smell, be worn out. i emailed them and they said they were part of the rental fleet for a few months. what do yall think