New Islamic Revolution

tvashtarkatena

You're amazing in your ability to predict the outcome of a revolution that came as a surprise to the Egyptians themselves LOL.

We've discussed this as a real scenario (among others) for at least 20 years including escape plans. The only thing that was a surprise was the timing (inspired by elsewhere) and the amazing restraint of the military. Now we're all watching daily to see how this sorts out. I have two trips planned there in the next 12 months so it should be fascinating.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, I just saw that on the news. I don't know if it makes a lot of difference. Let's hope there is some kind of split in the military and that younger officers gained significant power in recent weeks.

Military officers own a lot of businesses in Egypt, particularly in the tourism industry, so they have a deep, vested interest in restoring stability and thus, the economy. In my view that's probably a very good thing for the secular democratic movement - it shows in their restrained behavior so far.

Maybe.

Should be interesting to see what happens when and if the people on the street realize that Mubarak was just the face of a corrupt military oligarchy that bears significant responsibility for the country's dismal economic performance.

Not sure if the military will be down with changing the rules for a game they've rigged to enrich themselves. We'll see.

Greece on the Nile IMO.

Well, I'm not the one claiming clairvoyance, I am?

If you believe that visiting Egypt makes you smarter, you'd do well to buy a ticket as soon as you can.

Hey Captain Know-It-All:....that's laughable...you're WAY out of your league, li'l man!

14,000+ posts on cc.com....mostly antagonistic...it speaks for itself.

knowitall_cover.jpg