Stop Pebble Mine

Maine-iac

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent 15 days up there in 2007 floating the Koktuli river. It's a beautiful area, we saw 37 grizzly bear and countless Salmon. The beauty was only marred by the occasional helicopter flying to the mine site. I believe that, in one version of their plan at least, they were planning on drying up the Koktuli to keep shit from the mine from leaching into the rest of the river system. The thought makes me sick. My brother-in-laws photos of the trip here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronschmidt/sets/72157601063012908/

I spent 15 days up there in 2007 floating the Koktuli river. It's a beautiful area, we saw 37 grizzly bear and countless Salmon. The beauty was only marred by the occasional helicopter flying to the mine site. I believe that, in one version of their plan at least, they were planning on drying up the Koktuli to keep shit from the mine from leaching into the rest of the river system. The thought makes me sick. My brother-in-laws photos of the trip here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronschmidt/sets/72157601063012908/

I spent 6 weeks in Bristol bay (more specifically the mouth of the Kvichak) this summer and the opposition to the Pebble mine was everywhere.

Of course, based on what I saw, if the mine doesn't wreck that place (and it most certainly, without a doubt, will ruin that place) the filthy, greedy fisherman that invade Bristol bay from all over the world during those six weeks surely will. It might just take them a little longer. They seem to be doing an excellent job of fucking up everything they touch based on my experience. Absolutely horrendous attitudes towards the environment from most of the fisherman, and even worse from the canneries and their employees. EVERYTHING got dumped in the water. I heard many proclaim proudly that Bristol bay is the "most sustainable fishery in the world". Don't know if that's true but my assumption that it is makes me very, very sad for the future of our seas. It was a record run of Salmon this year and I personally witnessed several people dumping thousands of pounds of dead or soon to be dead Sockeye back into the river because the cannery has only so much capacity and could handle only so many fish. So most of the crews (included the one I was indentured too) just over-fished and dumped the extra if they couldn't find anyone else to take them. Thousands of fish died and were tossed back in the river because the people that make a living catching them are too fucking greedy and/or lazy to do their job in a way that is sustainable and responsible.

I watched in disgust as a young adult griz got shot for "fun" while it was minding it's own business on the other side of a creek. Beautiful place filled with disgusting, greedy, money hungry people with zero regard for anyone but themselves. In other words it's like many other parts of Alaska. The bullshit view that tourists get when they visit is just a pipe dream that never really existed to begin with. This has been the history of Alaska and will be until mother nature reclaims it from those that do not truly appreciate it's beauty.

No wonder the natives are still hostile towards whitey.

Choada it is in the works now. Plans are set to be presented to the state of Alaska by 2012. So far in the history of mining once plans have been presented, and permits asked for nobody has been turned down.

Just some quick facts if you don't want to read the article.

This mine will be approx 2 miles wide and close to 2000ft deep (just the open pit part), the underground portion is expected to be of similar size just underground. The tailings dams will block up entire valleys, and one of the earthen dams will be the largest dam in the entire world.

I spent 3 months this summer in the Lake Clark area which is just to the east of the proposed site. It was by far the most beautiful place I have seen anywhere in the US/CA or Europe. The people there were great and were also fairly heavily opposed to the mine, but for these small towns the thought of any sort of money flow through their towns is pretty large and some will vote for money now then beauty for the grandchildren. It is a lot easier to change somebody's attitude than to fix a poisoned and devastated Bristol Bay.

Just to compare the fish: The annual expected return for the entire Columbia River area is approx 100,000. The annual expected return for Bristol Bay is 30-40 MILLION.