NW Alpine Hoody?

Hugh Conway

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw and ad here today for the NW Alpine Hoody:'

http://nwalpine.com/apparel

which looks nice (similar to the patagonia R1 at half the price - yeah, I know the regular R1 has the microgrid palm and waist, I've the shitty 2nds version that doesn't), and nicely priced.

What's the fit like? Well sewn?

Can you tell me about the "Shitty seconds version" of the R1 Hoody? I assume you mean the version Patagucci sold on clearance for $90, correct? What makes it shitty versus the other version?

The NW Alpine hoody is interesting to me but only because of the price. Part of my attraction to the R1 hoody is the use of thinner materials around the wrist and below the beltline.

Can you tell me about the "Shitty seconds version" of the R1 Hoody? I assume you mean the version Patagucci sold on clearance for $90, correct? What makes it shitty versus the other version?

I bought it 4/09, it was described as the "M'S R1 HOODY-SPECIAL", Orange color, $69. It uses the R1 fleece everywhere and has lower quality zippers. Dunno about the clearance model currently - website pick looks to have the R.5 at wrists.

The newer, thinner hoody coming from NWAlpine looks cool

The zippers on the NW Alpine Hoody look gigantic for the application. I'd be interested in seeing one but overall my socks aren't knocked off from the pictures.

I bought one of the R1 Hoody's currently on clearance but don't have the new one to compare it against. The zippers don't feel crappy but they appear to be a little different from the pictures of the current model. The current model is listed as having R.5 at the wrist and lower hem and the clearance model is listed as having Cap4. The fit is perfect for me and for the price I can't complain. I was originally looking at the MEC version but after shipping it was the same price as the Patagonia.

Have you guys seen the MEC Expedition Stretch Hoodie ? It's pretty much identical to the R1 minus the pocket. Similar/same weight of fleece with some lighter/stretchier pannels in the arms. It also doesn't have a nice little zipper cover at the chin, but that's a pretty minor annoyance. For the price, it's not perfect, but I love mine. The NWAlpine hoodie looks sweet too, but I also think the zippers are way too big, I do like how the zipper goes off to the side.

Yeah, I own the MEC Hoodie. It's a great deal for what you get. The main difference is that it doesn't have the R.5-style longer bottom section to tuck in to tuck into your climbing/ski pants; the MEC piece is more of a standard length, and it doesn't zip up as high to form the instant balacava like the Patagonia does. Still, I really like it and use it regularly.

The NW Alpine stuff looks nice. Might track it down to have a look next time in Portland.