Telecom: another deregulation scam ...

j_b

There is a huge cost of entry in *any* capital intensive industry. What specifically makes entering the telecom business more daunting than starting a company that makes supertankers or delivers cell phone service?

You are clueless. How many miles of fiber-optics do you need to lay down before you have a market large enough to make a buck? Are you going to start in your neighborhood like a boat builder would?

How many parallel communication networks do you want to force real competition? is that really the way you define "efficiency"?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's manning the commercial fishing fleet, amigo? How about the cruise-ships? Are the risks and complexities associated with either less demanding than driving a ferry back and forth across the Puget Sound? How do they manage to staff their fleets?

much of shipping, cruises, etc.. is now staffed by philippinos workers. These people don't live in the US for the most part and they couldn't afford to do so on their wages. Which industry do you exactly plan on keeping in this country?

You seem upset.

If you aren't, you should be.

Please explain to me what you are going to do to alleviate this perceived wrong.

You mean besides whining to the spray forum on a climbing-related web site?

It's the moaning and bitching about something over which he has no control that I am trying to reconcile.

There is a huge cost of entry in *any* capital intensive industry. What specifically makes entering the telecom business more daunting than starting a company that makes supertankers or delivers cell phone service?

You are clueless. How many miles of fiber-optics do you need to lay down before you have a market large enough to make a buck? Are you going to start in your neighborhood like a boat builder would?

How many parallel communication networks do you want to force real competition? is that really the way you define "efficiency"?

Tell us. How many miles of fiber optic cable do you need to lay down before you have a market large enough to make a buck? How many variables is that contingent on, exactly? Do tell.

I have no idea how many parallel communications networks are necessary to create real competition. My best guess is that the number is larger than one. Again - tell us what the optimal number of competitors is and what set of variables influence the number over time. While you're at it - how about the average price per gig under the optimal pricing scheme.

Along similar lines - how many bicycle manufacturers are necessary to create optimal competition? How about dental sealant wholesalers? Brands of ice cream? How many independent farmers growing the same crop? Clearly if we organized them into a single national collective.....

If we only talked about things over which we have real control we wouldn't discuss much about anything. Aren't you an educator? Don't you believe that knowledge is revolutionary?

i wanna hear some campaign promises, what party are you affiliated with?

Edited by pink

much of shipping, cruises, etc.. is now staffed by philippinos workers.

Aren't you an educator? Don't you believe that knowledge is revolutionary?

I suspect his students, young though they may be, know how to spell Filipino. Some of the brighter ones (not you) can probably even handle singular and plural nouns and adjectives.

Who's manning the commercial fishing fleet, amigo? How about the cruise-ships? Are the risks and complexities associated with either less demanding than driving a ferry back and forth across the Puget Sound? How do they manage to staff their fleets?

much of shipping, cruises, etc.. is now staffed by philippinos workers. These people don't live in the US for the most part and they couldn't afford to do so on their wages. Which industry do you exactly plan on keeping in this country?

This is false. The last cruise I went on the staff was largely South American and European. All of whom spoke English and were educated.

Tell us. How many miles of fiber optic cable do you need to lay down before you have a market large enough to make a buck? How many variables is that contingent on, exactly? Do tell.

I have no idea how many parallel communications networks are necessary to create real competition. My best guess is that the number is larger than one. Again - tell us what the optimal number of competitors is and what set of variables influence the number over time. While you're at it - how about the average price per gig under the optimal pricing scheme.

Along similar lines - how many bicycle manufacturers are necessary to create optimal competition? How about dental sealant wholesalers? Brands of ice cream? How many independent farmers growing the same crop? Clearly if we organized them into a single national collective.....

Bend Broadband provides highspeed internet to Central Oregon and they are not considered a large telecom. There are literally hundreds of small telecoms just like Bend Broadband.

Bend Broadband provides highspeed internet to Central Oregon and they are not considered a large telecom. There are literally hundreds of small telecoms just like Bend Broadband.

i seriously doubt they are using their own infrastructure.

I had no idea that Japan was "much of shipping, cruises, etc.." Sounds like they have a monopoly on shipping and cruises globaly, maybe you should start a thread complaining about how unfair it is. :lmao:

the whole of Japan is a more significant data point than your cruise experience, jackass.

i seriously doubt they are using their own infrastructure.

About BendBroadband:

BendBroadband is a privately-owned, Oregon-based company serving Central Oregon since 1955. BendBroadband provides a full range of services including Video on Demand, digital video recorders, 100% digital cable, HD television, high-speed Internet; commercial and business telephone services, and an extensive fiber infrastructure. BendBroadband also delivers a variety of local sports and civic programming created and produced by COTV (channel 11 on BendBroadband’s channel lineup).

I had no idea that Japan was "much of shipping, cruises, etc.." Sounds like they have a monopoly on shipping and cruises globaly, maybe you should start a thread complaining about how unfair it is. :lmao:

the whole of Japan is a more significant data point than your cruise experience, jackass.

You found a single article about a Japanese press release and extrapolated that most of the cruise and shipping industry WORLD WIDE uses Filipino employees. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You found a single article about a Japanese press release and extrapolated that most of the cruise and shipping industry WORLD WIDE uses Filipino employees. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No. I know that Filipino sailors make up a disproportionate part of workers on boats and I gave you the first hit in a Google search because I wasn't going to spend any more time answering your drivel.

No. I know that Filipino sailors make up a disproportionate part of workers on boats and I gave you the first hit in a Google search because I wasn't going to spend any more time answering your drivel.

You're making shit up. Provide stats outside a single article about Japan wanting to use a labor force that is in close proximity. I know for a fact that cruise ships look to hire international employees from all over the world. I doubt container ships use Filipinos specifically.

http://www.mycruiseshipjob.com/

This is false. The last cruise I went on the staff was largely South American and European. All of whom spoke English and were educated.

Looks like j_b is showing his racist true-colors again...

Looks like j_b is showing his racist true-colors again...

Maybe he's just obsessed with Filipino "Seamen".