home wall - attaching directly to wall studs?

Yana

Good info on putting washers on the screws attaching the plywood to the studs, hadn't thought about that.

Washers are not necessary imo if you use glue, and the resulting structure is stronger with glue, but harder to remove later. Definitely use washers for a removable panel, but I have seen operable doors at gyms before too. I am not sure how hard a door would be to build.

I built a modular free standing cave in my apartment in Walla Walla. It had a 1 inch crack in the middle. I reversed the complementary angles on accident (when the saw read 0 I was actually making a 90 degree cut, from a mathematical viewpoint) and the crack turned into a flare. I never finished the texture, you could jam it, bit it was raw wood. 7 panels in total; 4 sides a top and 2 bottom shims. The neighbors saw me building it outside and asked what it was. I told them a bookshelf. The landlord stumbled across it one day and said it was interesting. :lmao:

The thing was, I didn't get enough height and quickly became bored. It was good for pull-ups and practice rigging. I had an eye bolt thru the roof. But I think 9 foot minimum height is necessary and then still a 2 foot roof section would be nice to keep the vertical progress interesting.

I got some holds I'd be willing to sell if anyone is looking (1 cubic foot box of mid to small - maybe a jug or 2 but not many).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, that's gettin' somewhere. If you could fill in a noob as far as the idea you're talking about, I wouldn't be against putting in an access for walking right up to it. Now you've opened a can of worms :lmao:

What you would do is remove the one or two studs directly in front of the panel and then double up the studs adjacent to the new opening. Then put in doubled horizontal studs about 6' up the wall bridging the doubled vertical studs to add structural integrity. Cut the plywood panel to span the opening (should be 48" wide assuming you have framed on 16" centers and removed only the two studs directly in front of the panel. The panel will be easily removable if you use screws (with washers) to attach it to the studs.

As an alternative to DPS’s suggestion, you might consider just creating an alcove (cave?) that allows access and visibility to your breaker panel. It would suck for something to happen at your home if you’re not there and whoever needs to cut power to a circuit not be able to locate your panel. Just my .02 cents.

As an alternative to DPS’s suggestion, you might consider just creating an alcove (cave?) that allows access and visibility to your breaker panel.
Yeah, and you could name it West Pole, after the route of the same name at Seneca Rocks, because you'd have to climb through an overhanging roof to get past your electrical panel. Electrical panel... pole... get it?? Jeez, I crack myself up... :laf: