mtnrgr

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by nolanr:
Will,

Relax, If you really wanna argue about music, nobody in the last 100 years or so can hold the jockstrap of Vivaldi, Bethoven, Bach, all those dudes. It's called staying power bro. The longer it hangs around and stays fashionable, the better it must be.

Remember, no relaxin' this is SPRAY. So let's just destroy your weak-ass argument shall we? Vivaldi, Bach, Beethoven: Melody, counterpoint, 3/4 and 4/4...boring. Staying power, last 100 years? Try Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong, Gershwin. Dave Brubeck's Time Out, all in non-standard time sigs, for that matter south american and african tribal music is WAY more complex rhythmically than anything the classical cats ever did. Take the A train, Autumn Leaves, All the things you are, Cherokee, Donna Lee, I've got Rhythm, they don't call them standards for nothing. Hell, the harmony (read chord change structure) for I've got rhythm alone has spawned countless other tunes...you might recognize it from the Flintstones theme song among others. You want more staying power? Miles, Coltrane, Bill Evans, Art Tatum. It's a jazzy world out there and as a player I'd take Oscar Peterson or Bud Powell over any of those white Europeans any day of the week.

Ooh, feeling feisty are ya Will? I gotta admit it, I can't stand jazz, never have liked it and probably never will. That's just my taste preference. Not to say all those folks you mentioned aren't talented and influential. I'm not gonna argue music theory w/ you either, cause I think I'm outta my league. I pretty much break it down this way: I like it, or I don't. I couldn't care less about chord progression, melody, harmony, so on and so forth.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: nolanr ]

Hey, back to the original topic, I was at a climbing gym Sun. morning, and they were playing some techno or something. Sounded like shit! Didn't inspire me to climb. It was annoying. I don't really need music to help me climb, just like I didn't need music to help me lift back in my musclehead days. I seem to recall, on alpine climbs it's usually pretty quiet, maybe some wind, maybe some human voices or birds calling. Indoor climbing is a really poor approximation of the real thing anyway, but I don't see where a thumping driving bass even enters into the equation. But I've been known to not share the majority opinion before.