fixing the first 3 pitches of lib. crack

keenwesh

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for a reasonably fast party its pretty doable in a day w/o fixing. Above first three pitches only place you may choose to aid would be the rotten block and you can just pull on gear. I wouldn't think a 70 m would be adequate to fix first three, I would think its at least 100 m but I don't really remember.

how hard is freedom rider? isn't it like mid 11?

I kinda want to do the lip, it looks really cool. I suppose I could fix a 70 and a 60, it's just I don't want to haul the extra rope up there. maybe I'll just get my partner to carry it... also, from my minimal aid experience I really don't think I could get up those first 3 pitches fast enough to do the last 10. I guess I'll have to spend more time at index getting my aid on. anyone have a grigri they want to sell me for cheap? I feel bad hauling others along to belay my slow ass on aid.

It's been a while since the Doc and I finally summited this route (took us three times, and then we still got benighted?!), but it was one that we vowed to do again and again as it was so much fun!

Not being rock stars or aid monkeys and somewhat lazy, we only fixed the first pitch on a casual afternoon. It did save a *little* bit of time, and we didn't have to carry anything the second day (again, keeping the pace mellow), and didn't have to deal with as many ropes. The plan was also just to enjoy the climbing at a leisurely pace rather than to chase the daylight.

The Lip was super fun to lead, but sucked to follow (again, we hadn't done much aid at all prior to this). I don't remember any of the aid or free climbing being too difficult. My favorite part of the route were the middle pitches -lots of moderate free climbing! Great rhythym, which came to a grinding halt at the Rotten Block pitch. Thankfully, it picked up again all the way to the top...