patellar tracking disorder/knee problems

about a month ago my doctor told me i have patellar tracking disorder. to improve the situation he suggested i do a series of static exercises to strengthen and balance the joint. this makes sense and all but wouldn't i have to continue to do the exercises almost everyday of my life to keep the weak muscles strong? use it or lose it right? how many of you have knee issues and find these static exercises to be helpful? i'm only 23. seems a bit young to have knee problems. if i lose my knees i'll put a bullet through my head

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 is not to young to have knee problems. I've had them since 16 and just had surgery 6 weeks ago (I'm 21).

My first bit of advice, get a second opinion. Being diagnosed with incorrectable tracking is bad news. Find the best orthopedic surgeon you can and get their opinion. Until then, do the exercises prescribed by your doctor, they won't hurt you even if they don't ultimately help.

I was diagnosed with a tracking disorder by a lesser doctor and told to stop running (I was a serious XC/track athlete at the time) and the diagnosis about crushed me. I got a second opinion and was so relieved to find out the first doctor didn't really know too much. The problem I had that caused me to have surgery developed later.

Go get that second opinion and I hope for your knee's sake that the tracking is correctable.

Having a knee issue is not the end of the world, Im 20 and have issues with my right knee- tracking issues too. It will teach you to take care of them while you are young.

The exercises do help. Initially they seem stupid, but add weights and hit the gym - your knee will improve greatly. God, I just about lost it when I found out about my knee issues. I had to stop running track and playing football. Now I climb and run xc recreationaly. Just take it slow and do the exercises right. feel free to add in your own work out on top of it.

Had some tracking issues while competing in track in college. I'd agree - get a second opinion from a sports ortho - ask around for a referral. Exercises helped solve the problem for me, no surgey. I've had to modify my exercise regime 35 years later - but you should have some good miles in you yet. Good luck.