New Scarpa alpine boots?

Dane

Last issue of R&I has a good write up by DR on the new Scarpa single boot, Phantom Guide. They look and feel even better in person. The newest Phantom 6000 dbl isn't on the web page last I checked. So thought some might want to see it as well.

The two boots in the new Phantom series so far are REALLY low profile and lwt boots. Hopefully I'll be using a pair of the dbls shortly and can give more feedback and a detailed review and comparison to my Sportiva Baruntse (incredible boot btw) and the Spantik.

My take from playing with them @ the OR show is they will be as big a jump in mtn boots technology as the Sportiva Batura and Spantik were a couple of years ago. Crampon fit might be a bit of an issue though with the extremely low profile toe and soles. But the same will make them climb really well I suspect. We'll have to wait and see. The boots should be out to retailers in a month or so. Check Amazon and Backcountry on delivery dates if you are interested. Plenty of time I am hoping for the spring Alaska season. Amazing just how good the gear is getting!

The last generation Scarpa Phantom Lt had already won the enviable reputation of being a more durable boot than the Batura on the long Chamonix mixed routes. I am hoping they continue to live up to their reputation with the newest boots.

Phantom Guide, single boot with attached super gaiter.

aiz.sized.jpg

aiy.sized.jpg

New Phantom 6000, looks to be one of the lowest profile and lowest volume dbl boots on the market. I suspect it will be a big hit for some of us.. For my own use I have thought what was really needed was a bit less volume than the newest huge dbls and all the current technology to come up with a boot that was warm enough for most winter stuff and would still climb very well.

I suspect the 6000 has answered some of that request.

aiv.sized.jpg

aiw.sized.jpg

aix.sized.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the pics Dane, and boy does the new 6000 look sweet!

I own the first gen. Phantom Lites, and my only complaint has been with the lacing system. It lacks sufficient eyelets for an effective heel lock, and the stock quick lace system was a joke. Glad to see Scarpa addressed that with the new Phantom Guide (now with a loop directly over the instep, and 3 hooks vs. 2 on the ankle).

Durability wise, Scarpa's construction and design can't be beat (especially the sweet zipper). Their boots are bomber, yet still have competitive weights. :tup::tup:

From Scarpa's web site specs on the Phantom Lt single.

I didn't get the specs on the 6000. or the prices.

Upper: Cordura® and Elastan 10% (S-tech Fabric)

Lining: Waterproof-OD/Primaloft

Insole: Pro-Fiber

Midsole: PU/TPU

Sole: Vibram® TT3

Last: AG

Sizes: 38 – 47, 48 (half sizes)

Weight: 900g; 1lb 15.7oz

Color: Orange

I'll have more details on a size 45 once the boots start to ship, which is next month I hope.

Worth mentioning that I stopped by the Scarpa booth at OR show intentionally wanting to look at the previous generation of the Phantom 6000. I was disapppointed seeing what I thought was only the new Phantom Guide on the booth wall. So I asked if the 6000 had been discontinued and the sales staff handed me the new Phantom 6000 shown here. It is such a low profile dbl boot that I had missed the 6000 thinking they had put out two pairs of the Phantom Guide for show.

I was impressed with how light both boots were compared to my Sportiva Baturas and Baruntse I am currently climbing in.

• 1 month later...

Saw that as well...and don't trust my "hand" weights from the OR show. But I really didn't notice a lot of differenece weight wise between the two models of boots.

In comparison to the Phantom Guide @ 900g, the Batura is suppose to be 980g or 34.67oz. The Baruntse 44.7 oz/ 1267g. The Sportiva weights are for a single boot and are close to my size 45s when weighted on a postal scale.

I'd speculate the 2460g is for a pair of the 6000...or 1230g per boot. But it is only a guess. I hear the 1st part of April for the Guides to be available :) Bummer that there are no half sizes being imported though.

From Scarpa earlier today. "The phantom 6000 should be here around June, the Phantom Guide beginning of April. The Phantom 6000 is only offered in whole sizes."

Upper: Lorica® with a velveteen and EVA lining

Liner: Thermo liner

Midsole: Proflex XT

Sole: Vibram® Dual PU Gsb

Color: Orange, black

Last: AC

Sizes: 38-48 (whole sizes)

Weight: 2460g (42)

Product Code: 87405

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Phantom Guide weights in at 2 lb 7.5oz in my size 45. Or .5oz more than the Batura in a size 45 which is 2 lb 7 oz. for comparison.

So not the 1/2 lb lighter per foot we speculated over the Batura but actually a .5 oz heavier.

Scarpas will take one less notch on the crampons though while being a 1/4 size or more longer inside the boot. It is a low profile single boot.

If you are looking at the Omegas, make sure you are getting the more recent model with the (very warm) Intuition heat mold-able liners. The orginal stock liners weren't very warm, or so I've heard. Starting two or three seasons ago, they started selling Omegas with the Intuition liners and greatly stepped up the quality for these boots. Some retailers may still stock and sell boots with the original liners, so be sure to ask when you are loooking. I've done overnighters at -20F (we had a thermometer) with just a single heavy wool sock and the Intuition Omegas without a complaint.

Yes, they are very low profile. And light. The lighter plastic shell doesn't hold up as well as my old-school purple top invernos did. But at a fraction of the weight, I'm not complaining.