ATTN: Grivel tool users...

superbum

As I was sharpening my picks today I noticed that they were crooked! Only slightly on one tool, but very noticable on the other! I was bummed to say the least. I have never mixed climbed on them, so torquing is not the issue (and I can't believe I've never noticed it before!)

They are the Matrix Tech's (w/ the black ...handle). I suggest going and checking your tools right now. To check mine, I put the head towards me, w/ the pick point towards the sky and tried to line up the pick w/ the shaft via line of sight. If there are more of us "crooked tool owners" I feel Grivel needs to know!

I have not contacted them yet myself...

Vic

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen a bunch of bent Grivel picks. Easy to straighten out with the other tool and a few well placed wacks while climbing. Even easier at home with a vice. Heard of folks snapping them but never seen it myself.

Not that I liked it mind you but think it was an intentional part of the design/metalurgy....bent better than broken.

Better bendy than brittle. Easy to forge straight. Lay the pick flat on it's side on an anvil or a flat rock with the ends touching and the high arch of the bend in the middle. Gently and firmly hammer the pick flat. If you hit it too hard or too often it will bend the other way. Take it easy. Light blows with a heavy hammer are best. You can take the pick off and clamp it so part of it protrudes from a vise. tap it straight with a hammer, repositioning the pick in the vise as needed. Don't batter the thin end of the pick. Keep the tips sharp so you won't have to swing so hard when climbing.

By the way, how do you like the Matrix?

So, after some serious eyeballing here's the skinny...

One tool def. had a slightly bent pick. So after some time in a vice, i bent it back best i could. not perfect but fairly straight, not a prob.

The other tool's pick however is arrow straight...but does not line up w/ the shaft...I believe that the actual steel head that the pick is bolted to is not seated in the shaft perfectly straight. I think even w/ a brand new pick it would still point to the left.

To be honest, it's not THAT bad and I've never noticed it climbing. Also, given that ice is not perfectly flat and the tool prob. sits un-perfectly in your hand when you swing it anyway, it shouldn't matter...but I'm a perfectionist and wish my $200 tool was perfect too. oh well, I might try and warranty them in the spring.

Besides this quality control issue, I really like them. Only other tool i've owned is the Petzl Aztar, and these are better. They are REALLY light though and feel super precise because of that, but if you are used to a heavy tool it will prob. feel very strange. Gotta really snap 'em in for a one stick swing. Also, Because of their double curve in the shaft they do not sit as securely across your chest/over your shoulder when switching hands as do, say BD tools w/ their constant curve.