circuit bouldering grades at vw - wazzup?

Rad

Arguing about gym grades is like running in the Special Olympics ...

i don't think anyone was arguing, dickhead. why don't you take your "humor" into a private message forum with porter? there you can joke about minorities, women, the developmentally disabled, etc etc to your heart's content, without exposing others to your poor taste.

Is Porter in the poor taste Special Olympics team?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Circuit grading rocks. The classic 2 hr. outing on the BLOCS (while at least indoors in this rainy climate here).

A gym manager from Colorado once told me that if you want to make bigger profits, cater to boulderers at your gym and put REALLLLLLY soft "V" grades including a lot of giveaways on the bigger numbers and the shirtless meatheads with horrible footwork will throw themselves at the problems and bring all their friends. Not the scene that I like.

• 3 months later...

I know this died in jan. but i'd like to throw my 2 cents in...

At this point, I believe that any new route indoors or out, should have a rating of 5.8+. Just 5.8+ the world. Thats it- nothing more, nothing less. "ya it was like 5.8+ or something..." I like the sound of that.

Edited by Frankazoid

no...its not...actually, knowing the setting crew, they got tired of the constant bitching about underated routes, blah blah blah...

so...they've gone the way of Font and did a wider circuit band...pretty hard to argue with a boulder problem being inside of a range rather tan a specific number...

Personally, i think its pretty sweet and a good training mechanism...

Routes are long enough that a hard move or two within a bunch of moves won't shift the grade more than a letter or two...personally, if up to me, i'd prefer the +, nothing, or - system for routes too...

My only request from them (and they've been good about this) is to stay consistent in rating (whatever way they use) month to month and route to route...could care less if they overate or underate, just stay consistent...for benchmark purposes...

My understanding is that they're doing it that way to make it easy for people to use the gym for endurance training.