ultralight sleeping bags

johndavidjr

I have a Western Mountaineering ultralight rated to 40F.

Paid sh^t load for it and am generally satisfied. I mainly use it with breathable (discontinued) OR bivy sack for added weatherproofness and durability.

Serious trade-off in durability with these items - especially if bivvy is omitted.

This is such that I sometimes question their worth.

Adding a pound in form of a more robust zipper and shell fabric is well-worth at least considering.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, a $20, 2-pound (sans poles, stakes), one-person tent that provides complete protection from insects and summer showers is available from discount stores, and can save needless and costly wear on other stuff in gear closet.

I think the marginal expense for the "ultralight" sleeping bag may or may not be worthwhile. Reasonable alternatives remain costly and generally unavailable (?) from large-scale discounters.

Actually, at "Dick's Sporting Goods" chain recently, I noticed a very cheap, semi-disposable, semi-insulated item in a tiny vacuum package, that seemed a sort of an "emergency bivy bag" that looked slightly interesting.

Actually, at "Dick's Sporting Goods" chain recently, I noticed a very cheap, semi-disposable, semi-insulated item in a tiny vacuum package, that seemed a sort of an "emergency bivy bag" that looked slightly interesting.

I believe you can also buy these items from Trojan, Durex, Lifestyles etc.

not sure about the insulated part but the more expensive ones come with ribs

Eventually, the technology of cheap manufacturing may catch up with the little elves of Tacoma (or where ever).

It may be sooner than y'all think.

To a very limited extent, maybe it happened a long time ago.

Perhaps that's why the giant conglomerants long ago acquired "high end" gear makers like Marmot, NF SD, etc., etc.,

I have a Western Mountaineering ultralight rated to 40F.

Paid sh^t load for it and am generally satisfied. I mainly use it with breathable (discontinued) OR bivy sack for added weatherproofness and durability.

Serious trade-off in durability with these items - especially if bivvy is omitted.

This is such that I sometimes question their worth.

Adding a pound in form of a more robust zipper and shell fabric is well-worth at least considering.

For me, it is also about the size if I am trying to climb with it. So far, I have been satisfied with the quality of the zippers and hope it will last many years if I take care if it properly. I prefer to use it with a bivy when I can to help preserve it.

I have been using an REI Travel Down bag for about 5 years for all my three season bivies and camping. I tried it in Winter once and suffered beyond a resonable amount IMO. I typically use a bivy sack as the Travel Down is rated at 45dg and the bivy sack affords me wind and moisture protection.

Up until about a year ago my bivy sack was an old school REI Cyclops, circa early nineties. It is heavy but also pretty heavy duty and I really dig the brimmed hood and zipper config for sitting bivies. Now I am using an REI Minimalist bag and the packability and weight difference is nice.

The Travel down stuffs smaller than my down parka. I have been more than happy with this style set up for quite a while now. I think the advantage of using clothing you are already bringing to offset the warmer ratings of the light bag is worth it, as it forces one to think in terms of cohesive clothing and sleeping systems and therefore not carry unnecessary weight for single use situations.

I believe you can also buy these items from Trojan, Durex, Lifestyles etc.

not sure about the insulated part but the more expensive ones come with ribs

:laf:

they actually have those at walmart. i buy them by the pallet load. you can just use them once, and just throw them away. seems like a shame to waste to spend all that money on something like that...but you know what they say about fools and their money. it just takes a bit of homespun common sense to see the logic in it.