Damn Canadians invented sport climbing !

Dane

And we all thought it was the French? French just had the good sense to take it to rock and do it in warm weather! Hey, their national sport is hockey. Vertical hockey isn't a stretch for the cold Canadian winters and some bored expats.

Fixed anchors if you could find them and generally no pro between them that was usable. Outside of Yosemite slabs it was the only time I'd seen that at the time. And none of us had ever heard of "sport" climbing.

Dec 1972, top of Cascade as the sun went down....temp in Banff that day? -40C. Made for a cold walk down Rogans.

adx.sized.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And we all thought it was the French? French just had the good sense to take it to rock and do it in warm weather! Hey, their national sport is hockey. Vertical hockey isn't a stretch for the cold Canadian winters and some bored expats.

Fixed anchors if you could find them and generally no pro between them that was usable. Outside of Yosemite slabs it was the only time I'd seen that at the time. And none of us had ever heard of "sport" climbing.

Could you translate this into english?

Smiling? Cold Don,...cold. Kinda cold you only experience once. Remember your first time out in -40 temps and realising you could actually die in such temps? After a few years of skiing and climbing this is my first realization of just how cold it can really get. I'd almost forgot the King Eddy and dbls!

Translate? All you needed was a rope and a few biners..with the fixed anchors. Thought occured to me the other night that it was just like "sport climbing" :)