Is my yellow alien F'ed???

crimper

I just looked at this cam and saw that one of the 4 wires (each wire goes to a different cam lobe, of course) has frayed so that only one tiny strand of wire (maybe 10-20% of the original thickness of the wire?) still connects to the cam lobe.

If that wire blows, as it soon will, that means only 3 lobes will be functioning, right?

is this a no-brainer, and I should just toss this cam out? Or is there someone or some store who can repair the wire?

Finally, it's an old alien, at least 2003, and maybe older.

Thanks, Bryan.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just send it to me, I'll recycle it for you.

It used to be that you could send cams in to CCH and they would fix triggers, and replace the lobes for $15, they'd even resling them. I'm not sure if that's still happening now that Dave's passed away.

The cams are actually kind of finicky to repair.

thanks tomtom but i don't want to to spend $33 on a cam repair kit, and i don't trust myself to do the repair in any event.

but the answer seems to be that the cam can be salvaged, and i have a call in to old larry to see if he can do the fixing...thanks to all..

thanks tomtom but i don't want to to spend $33 on a cam repair kit, and i don't trust myself to do the repair in any event.

but the answer seems to be that the cam can be salvaged, and i have a call in to old larry to see if he can do the fixing...thanks to all..

$33 is way under what is costs to buy a new one. Seems like a no brainer.

so does that mean you use the one paper clip for both lobes? and how is the trigger atcion treating you?

the action's just fine - i don't have the thing in front of me here at school of course but recall taking a single clip, threading it through the two holes of the left side of the trigger that had held the broken wire, then finagling it through the single hole on each lobe where the original wire had gone, then cutting off the excess and bending the wire down to keep it in place

the action's just fine - layton's system using fishing line would no doubt be better and smoother - same principle, just tie knots in the line i reckon - you could pm him