Snowboard Mountaineering

i_like_sun

Here's a toepiece after a few seasons that included a bunch of skinning and a fair amount of ski mode. Heel locks might mitigate this, in addition to making things easier.

binding.jpg

Is this the Voile slider track that blew out? Or was it an Ignition binding?

That looks like a Voile touring bracket.

I have scars like that on my touring brackets too, but never that kind of failure.

And sometimes I DO ski the boards on hilly terrain. But then again, you can also just use your poles and push along just like the skiers do...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a toepiece after a few seasons that included a bunch of skinning and a fair amount of ski mode. Heel locks might mitigate this, in addition to making things easier.

binding.jpg

Is this the Voile slider track that blew out? Or was it an Ignition binding?

That looks like a Voile touring bracket.

I have scars like that on my touring brackets too, but never that kind of failure.

And sometimes I DO ski the boards on hilly terrain. But then again, you can also just use your poles and push along just like the skiers do...

Yesterday I skinned up to Table Mountain, and spent considerable time "skiing" on the rolling flats. Its pretty cool being able to make alpine turns and half-ass tele turns.

I might try to get a buddy to CNC me a replica touring bracket that is thicker out of 7075 aluminum. The wear issues might be different with aluminum though, since its so much softer..

As far as efficiency goes, I'm happy to report that I outskinned at least 6 dudes on AT setups heading up to Artist Point. Although the conversion from "Ski" to "Ride" adds an extra 3 minutes, being fitter still makes all the difference :brew:

The whole splitboard thing looks cool to me ( a non snowboarder). I imagine since it's a relatively new snow travel device there are problems that need working out.

I heard one skier comment last night that I think applies to Jay Chute.

"Splitboards are cool; too bad there are so many snowboarders that are the equivalent of rock climbers who only sport climb."

There should be some kind of outreach program for skateboarding snowboarders.

Are you crazy, I am fine with a most of the snowboards being into

the park scene it means the backcountry will stay free and less tracked out. BTW I am not a hater, I am a snowboarder when I am around snow, not much around these parts.

Why are you guys skiing on your Splits? I hate my boatd on rolling terrain. On the flats and skinning, I think it works just as good as my tele ski did.

Yall are so yester-year.:rolleyes:

Thankfully the park mentality is infiltrating the bc: modern 2-stroke technology is off the hook, 150+ hp, 163" tracks, the places we can go! and man when DaKine put out that nifty chainsaw pack for mtn bikers- oh the possibilities... all those drops and shots that just didn't have the runouts... poof! Husqavarna has the cure! A handful of 60d's and a mini sledge- endless stunts... a little imagination and lots-o-elbow grease and...

The bc is the best park ever! I get sweaty palms just thinkn about it! :brew:

Splittys are the shit! It takes 1-5 min to switch over, big deal, why the rush? just enough time to enjoy a cheap headbuster. Spark r&ds/burton driver x's sidehill no prob, and ride/sledneck better than plastics. Venture's extensive board line is the answer to Voile's intermediate dinosaurs.

Man some of you ski fags sound like idiots. Let me guess- yall are ghey-ass teleskiers, scuffing around avoiding absolutely anything difficult, terrified of actually using the fall-line, in search of the endless field of over exagerated hippy-pow "turns"... Why is it yall think skinning is a competition, something to brag about? :poke:

Me too! :rocken:

What boots do you use for Splitboarding? For that matter, ever ride Baker area? :fahq:

I use burton moto's right now.... I spent 8 years living in the ham and had 6 season passes at baker over those 8 years. Lots of days in the baker backcountry, miss it bigtime.

Thankfully the park mentality is infiltrating the bc: modern 2-stroke technology is off the hook, 150+ hp, 163" tracks, the places we can go! and man when DaKine put out that nifty chainsaw pack for mtn bikers- oh the possibilities... all those drops and shots that just didn't have the runouts... poof! Husqavarna has the cure! A handful of 60d's and a mini sledge- endless stunts... a little imagination and lots-o-elbow grease and...

You suck. Earn your turns. :poke:

I use my mountaineering boots with my standard snowboard bindings and it works ok. If there is some nice powder then it is a great ride, despite the overly stiff boots. I no longer will carry snowboard boots on a climb.

I used to do that, and found that the performance was pretty marginal. I now use Mtn. Plates and AT boots, and never looked back at a pair of strap bindings again.

• 3 weeks later...

You suck. Earn your turns. :poke:

Agreed. The one thing in my whole life that got me so pissed off I might explode was seeing a snowmobile jackass crossing the summit plateau of Baker. I wanted to roll his sled down Coleman headwall.

The last place we can all go to NOT hear the sound of engines is in the mountains, and we should keep it that way!!

I use my mountaineering boots with my standard snowboard bindings and it works ok. If there is some nice powder then it is a great ride, despite the overly stiff boots. I no longer will carry snowboard boots on a climb.

I used to do that, and found that the performance was pretty marginal. I now use Mtn. Plates and AT boots, and never looked back at a pair of strap bindings again.

I still think a strap boot has the potential for serious climbing. All that is needed is a stiffer sole and lower profile boot body, yet still a high and stiff enough upper to make it a snowboard boot.

I still think a strap boot has the potential for serious climbing. All that is needed is a stiffer sole and lower profile boot body, yet still a high and stiff enough upper to make it a snowboard boot.

Yeah, when they make that utopian boot, I might just buy a pair. Until then, I will keep up the convenience of my AT boot.

Each to their own, so if the straps work for ya, then ROCK it. :rocken:

• 2 weeks later...

I like my split. I would never take it up something sketchy in ski mode though. Despite 10 years of being a skier, I'm horrible on that thing in ski mode and the edges just don't feel like I can hold em. I usually ride in my Northwave boots but have occasionally used just normal hiking boots.

So why have a split? I just like riding away from the crowds on nice powder. Nothing hardcore about that. Skinning up and sliding down is a nice way to spend the day.